Chapter 2

Callie

Taylor glanced at his phone and began typing away.

I glanced at the clock. It was almost half-past six. "I should start heading home."

"Where to?" Taylor looked up from his phone.

I shrugged. "Home, of course. Your family is waiting." I nodded towards his phone, which kept receiving new messages. "I'll have a nice movie night and take a bath or something."

Taylor looked at me for a moment, disbelief on his face. "It's Thanksgiving!"

"And that's exactly why you should go to your family now," I said. Why was Taylor always so stubborn? I was giving him the perfect opportunity to leave.

Taylor nodded slowly. "You're right. And you're coming with me."

Now it was my turn to be taken aback. "What?"

"You'll celebrate Thanksgiving with my family this year. It's about time you meet them. I can't hide you from them until our wedding, after all." Taylor grinned and started walking again.

"Taylor, wait, you can't just..." I stared after Taylor. He couldn't just talk about things like weddings and meeting his family and then act like nothing was happening.

"Of course I can." Of course he could. A nervous tingle spread through my stomach as I reached for his hand, and we continued on our way.

______

Taylor

I pulled Callie along behind me onto the porch. I had no idea if it was a good idea to bring her here, but I couldn't possibly leave her alone on Thanksgiving. Even from outside, you could hear screams and shouts. My siblings were back in full swing. I gave Callie an apologetic look before reaching for the doorknob.

As soon as I opened the door, we were almost knocked over by Jackson.

"Watch out!" he yelled and swung a ball down the hallway with his new hockey stick. The ball bounced off the coat rack and was caught by Noah. Laughing, he threw the ball back to Jackson, who just managed to duck in time. The ball left a stain on the wallpaper, but, of course, nobody cared.

"Not so hard!" complained the younger one before he swung the stick himself, hitting the ball so hard that it flew into the living room with a loud crash. Something shattered, and Mackenzie's curses echoed through the house.

"Oops," Jackson grimaced before hiding his stick in the coat rack.

I glanced at Callie, who stood in the doorway looking slightly shocked. I clapped my hands together.

"Hey, you two. I brought someone, so could you stop going crazy for a moment and try to make a good impression?"

Jackson and Noah briefly surveyed Callie before grinning.

"You're Callie," Noah stated, pointing at her. Callie shot me a questioning look before agreeing.

"Yes, Callie," Jackson repeated, making kissing noises. Laughing, I shoved him aside.

"I was starting to think Taylor scared you away. Are you sure you want to subject her to our family?" Noah remarked, and I shook my head.

"Not really. You two shouldn't be subjected to anyone either." I ruffled Jackson's hair. "Alright, let's get it over with. Where's the rest?"

Jackson pointed towards the living room, and I pulled Callie along behind me.

"You've told your siblings about me?" she whispered.