Chapter 22

Noah

The date had been amazing. Amanda was simply perfect. She may not like football, but she said she would still come to my games. She was funny, kind, and beautiful.

In the hallway, I ran into Taylor, who was working on the lock of the basement door.

"What are you doing?" I watched as Taylor pressed down the door handle and nodded in satisfaction when it didn't squeak.

"I'm finally fixing this damn door" he said, and then started lubricating the hinges on the side with oil.

"You've been planning to do that for ages. I didn't think you would actually do it" I grinned, and Taylor threw the dirty cloth he was holding at me.

Laughing, I dodged backward. "Missed!" I sang, picking up the cloth to throw it back. Unlike Taylor, I hit my target and raised my arms triumphantly.

"You're slipping, big bro. You should come to training more often before your little brother surpasses you" I fluttered my eyelashes.

"We'll see about that" he laughed and tried to put me in a headlock.

"Oh crap," I tried to run away, but Taylor had already caught me. Wrestling, we stumbled through the hallway until he actually had me in a headlock.

"Dammit" I cursed and tried to free myself from his grip, but no chance.

"Looks like my little brother bit off more than he could chew" he mimicked my voice from earlier and patted my head.

"Okay, okay, let me go" I gasped, unable to breathe from laughing so hard, and Taylor loosened his grip.

"So, what happened today that put you in such a good mood?" Taylor grinned, and I rolled my eyes.

"Can't I just be in a good mood for no reason?" I asked, crossing my arms over my chest.

"I don't know, can you?" Taylor asked, and I grinned. I just couldn't stop.

Taylor looked at me, amused. "What's her name?" he finally asked, and I looked at him incredulously. How did he already know?

"How do you know it's about a girl? Maybe training was just exceptionally fun today" I provocatively asked, but Taylor just laughed.

"Noah, you're grinning like a Cheshire cat. Of course, it's about a girl"

I laughed and shrugged. Where he was right...

"Well... as you say" I chimed and started walking up the stairs.

"Noah, wait! What's her name?" Taylor called after me, but I just wiggled my eyebrows a few times and then disappeared into my room.

A glance at my phone revealed a new message from Amanda, and I flopped onto the bed.

A: Today was really fun. So, what do you say? Are you ready for a second round? Xoxo

N: I would, but I have to fulfill my masculine duties and make you squirm a little.

A: Well then, I guess I'll go to the fireworks alone the day after tomorrow.

N: I'll pick you up at 6.

"FOOD!" Coulder burst into my room, pulling me out of my thoughts.

"Alright, no need to shout" I grabbed my little brother and hoisted him over my shoulder. Coulder squirmed and laughed as I carried him downstairs and set him down in front of the kitchen.

The others seemed to be already seated, and it sounded like Taylor and Dad were arguing. What was going on now?

"That's ridiculous. They just want to avoid this sports event" Dad's gaze briefly flickered to me and Coulder as we took our seats.