Nineteen. Heat Wave

Start from the beginning

"7-Adam-20. Responding"

The two officers pulled up to the scene to see the 118 engine already there. "Oh, well this is gonna go great" Summer mumbled to herself getting out of the car. "What happened?"

"Woman was hit by a car, uh, but lucky that woman saved her managed to relocation her leg" Captain Nash told the officer looking over to a familiar woman covered in the women's blood.

"Niki?" Vienna asked walking over to the woman.

"You know her?" Summer questioned following the blonde.

"Hey, Vienna. Love the hair" Niki said to her wiping the blood off her hands.

"V?" Buck asked looking over to the blonde, Vienna sighed glancing over to her rookie.

"Rossi, you take a statement from her, I'll deal with this" Rossi nodded as Reyes stepped away from the two.

"Vienna, look-" Buck started walking over to her, she rolled her eyes.

"Evan, I'm not doing this right now, I have a job to do" The blonde cut in walking over to the cop car.

"No, V, please just listen-" before Reyes could reply the officers and firefighters phone alarms started blaring, Vienna pulled out her phone and stared at the notification in shock.

BALLISTIC MISSILE THREAT INBOUND TO LOS ANGELES. IMPACT IN 29 MINUTES SEEK IMMEDIATE SHELTER THIS IS NOT A DRILL.

"What do we do?" Summer asked her T.O.

"We gotta get back to the station" Reyes told her, she nodded and the two got in the car.

...

"Listen up. LAPD has not been able to verify the alert is real. However, real or not, everyone in the city is panicking right now. So I don't care if you've been off the street for 20 years. If you got a badge, get out there. First priority- to secure sensitive targets. Next, protect the community. Ignore petty crimes, focus on people, not property. Look, I know you're scared, I'm scared, too. But people out there are counting on us, and we will help them. Okay, let's get to work" Sergeant Grey told the all the officers.

After guiding citizens to the underground shelters, Rossi glanced at her watch. "Uh...we have 1 minute" She replied, Vienna sighed.

"That's not enough time to get to the shelter"

"Oh, so, we're screwed then?" Rossi asked her, she nodded with a sigh.

"Attention, all units. Missile alert is a false alarm. I repeat- the alert is a false alarm" Grey's voice said over the twos radio.

"Oh, thank God"

"So, we're not screwed?" She sighed in relief as Vienna nodded. "Now, can we get out of this heat?"

"Agreed"

The officers got back to the station and started on their paperwork until Summer noticed Vienna texting. "Who you texting?" She asked her.

"Uh, just Eddie" She shrugged. Summer gave her a smug look "It's not like that" she nodded in disbelief.

"Officer Reyes, your daughters here" Nolan said walking over to the blonde, she looked at him confused.

"How?" She asked walking to the front desk.

"Mommy!" Elena exclaimed running over to her mother and hugged her as Vienna hugged her back.

"Are you okay, honey?" She nodded, Vienna smiled.

"Daddy picked me up at school 'cause of the nuke but it's not real, right?" Elena asked her mother, Vienna shook her head.

"No, honey, it's just a false alert" She assured hugging her daughter again.

"Where's the man she came in with?" Summer asked Nolan as Nolan glanced around the waiting room.

"Uh, he must have left"

"You know what? Me and Christopher's dad are gonna take you two to the park after work, okay?" Vienna told her, Elena smiled and nodded. "Come on, let's go get some snacks" picking her daughter up.

"Yay!"

...

After the firefighter and cop had a long day after the missile false alarm, the two met up at the park and sat at one of the benches while watching their kids play on the playground.

"You alright?" Eddie asked the blonde.

"Oh, yeah, just a hell of a day" Vienna replied, he nodded in agreement.

"Yeah, I thought we were all gonna die"

"Oh, yeah, that- I kind of forgot about that" She said, Eddie gave the blonde a confused look, "Uh, Elena's dad basically kidnapped her from school and then dropped her off at the station then left before I could arrest his ass"

"Have you filed a restraining order?"

"I'm working on it" The blonde sighed. Eddie's gaze softened as he put his hand on her shoulder.

"You wanna get some food?" He asked, glancing over to a food truck, she chuckled and nodded, "So, have you spoken to Buck?" Eddie asked after the two ordered some food.

She shook her head, "No, I blocked his number" She replied with a shrug, he chuckled slightly. "Why?"

"Uh, I think he regrets breaking up with you"

"Well, he should" She said with a smirk taking a bite of her taco as she noticed the sprinklers behind them. "Ooh, look"

"What?" Eddie asked, turning around, a devilish grin formed on Vienna's face as she pushed Eddie into the sprinklers. "Oh, my God! Not decent!"

"Worth it, though!" She laughed watching Eddie get up from the floor and ran towards her "No, no! Don't wet me!" as Eddie picked her up and ran into the sprinklers.

"Oh, right in the face! Yeah, you like that?" Eddie asked as she laughed in his arms.

"Our parents are weird" Elena said to Christopher watching the two adults push each other in the sprinklers.

Tysm for reading! Fun fact wrote this in a heat wave anyway sorry for any mistakes!

Written: 15/06/2023

Published: 23/07/2023

Word Count: 1282