Part 7

Travis was very grumpy the next day. When Bryan came to wake him up for the day, the smaller boy simply whined and turned away, covering his ears with his hands.

"Travis, it's time to get up, bubba. You can have an early nap today if you're still sleepy, but you need to have breakfast." Bryan said. He scooped the boy up, earning another whine.

Bryan checked his diaper, only to find that it was clean, and carried Travis to the kitchen. He sat him in his high chair and pored him a bowl of mini wheat, setting them on his tray.

Travis rested his head on his hands and shut his eyes.

"Kiddo, you need to eat, it'll be hard if your eyes are closed." Bryan said. He brought the first bite up to Travis's face, and the boy opened his eyes. He ate the food cooperatively, though his eyes were still tired.

"Good job. Want a bottle now, or in a little bit?" Bryan cooed, moving the empty bowl to the sink.

"No." Travis said, pouting. Bryan chuckled lightly and popped Travis's pacifier into his mouth, picking him up and carrying him to the living room. He sat him down in the playpen and placed some blocks and teddy bears in it.

"Papa's gonna make some breakfast, you stay here." He said, walking back into the kitchen.

Travis looked at his selection of toys and decided that he didn't want any of them. He pushed them all to one side of the playpen and laid down, head in his arms to block out the light.

"Bubba, it's not naptime. You have to be awake for a little while." Bryan said from the kitchen, checking in on Travis.

"Leave me alone." Travis grumbled behind his pacifier. He put his head back down, using one of the teddy bears as a pillow.

Bryan walked back into the living room and scooped Travis up, carrying him back to his nursery.

"If you're gonna be fussy like this, you can stay in here until you decide to behave. Let me know when you want to be nice." He said, putting Travis in his crib. He left the room and turned off the light, leaving Travis in the quiet.

Travis laid down and went back to sleep, happy that he got what he wanted.

A couple hours later, Travis sat up and rubbed his eyes, leaning forward. He looked around and saw that it was still dim in the room, but there was some light coming through the blinds.

The door opened, and Bryan walked in, holding a bottle.

"Okay kiddo, are you ready to behave?" He asked, looking down at Travis. The boy nodded. Bryan ruffled his hair and set the bottle down on the bookshelf, picking Travis up. He laid him down on the changing table and changed him, placing him quickly in a clean diaper.

Bryan stepped out of the room to wash his hands, and when he returned, he put a clean onesie on Travis, then picked him back up. He sat in the rocking chair with him and fed him, sitting quietly.

"I know you're still getting used to me and mama, but you have to behave. If you're naughty, you'll have to face the consequences, and I want you to look up to me. Mama and I are the grown ups, and you and your brother are our babies. Understand?" Bryan said, looking down at Travis. 

The smaller boy sighed behind his bottle, unwilling to give a proper answer. He finished the milk, and Bryan burped him. He bounced him gently, patting his back.

"Okay bubba, let's go see your brother. Maybe we can put on a movie." Bryan said, carrying Travis down to the living room.

Owen was in his rocker, swinging gently, and lacy sat in the couch folding laundry.