The Cold

Chris Stevens POV:

Sensitive matters discussed on this chapter. Read at your own risk. Thank you.

"So all of the rumors are true?" The interviewee speaks to the both of us. This was my very first time having to have an interview in front of a crowd. "Cate, what made you love this young woman?"

Everyone seems to be interested. Not considering the bright lights of the studio, the people were attentively listening to us. I fixed my posture, looked over to Cate, and fall once more into her eyes.

The blonde took my hand. "Chris has been my friend since day one so there was this sense of relationship between us already and if we are going to be honest, I was going to confess first but then she ended up dating another woman..."

She keeps on talking and her grip on me gets firmer. Everyone was not buying it and so I went ahead and brought her hand up, and kissed the back of it. People put out their phone and started snapping the moment. At this point, I really marvel all the public figures out there who stay strong because the world is cruel.

When that was done, Cate brought me closer to her and she kisses me on the lips. "... I really can't imagine living without her. My relationship with my husband wasn't the best and what you have read and heard from his previous interviews were done to break our image. There wasn't much evidence to prove it."

We are trying our absolute hardest to save and clean our names. Andrew did us bad and it is going to take a while.

"So for you, Miss Stevens," the host switched to me. "You have been in the limelight for quite some time and I've heard that you are starring a role with Cate Blanchett very soon. Has your relationship become the resume for your break out role in Hollywood, or you really have no intentions in being an actor?"

"I really love Cate so much but I wasn't expecting it to reach this far, honestly," I replied. "I... I mean, I haven't thought of being an actor because I wasn't the extroverted type of person that can easily portray feelings but if it involves me being closer to the woman I love," I felt a lump in my throat as I was speaking. "Why not?"

And that is all folks for tonight's show! Thank you for tuning in and to catch and see about Cate Blanchetts scheduled events for her movie New Boy, please check out...

We waited for the signal. As soon as the stage manager signaled us to get off the stage, we stood up and I let her walk out first. Before reaching back stage, there were a couple of fans that reached out to Cate and asked for some autographs.

Of course she did say yes. I was there at the side admiring her kindness and beauty, but I still wonder what happened to her the other night when she still fucking believe that what Andrew said was true. I'm at the edge really, and I'm just waiting for one tiny move for me to get this shit done.

A young lady, maybe around her 20s, came up to me with a piece of paper on her hand and a marker. "Oh the lines there. Cate does have a lot of signing to do--"

"I'm asking for your signature, Miss Stevens," she replied. Well, I had to gather myself together because I wasn't expecting one. I took the pen and then signed her paper. "You and Miss Blanchett do make a good couple."

"Mhm, sure we do. Here. " I gave her the paper.

Then before she left, she managed to leave me some words. Some words of advice that I wasn't expecting. "I just... Do remember that you are her friend. You know her most than her husband. I believe you really love her, Chris."
__________________________________________________________________

We were packing for our flight back to the states. I just don't really see the need in staying here. As I was packing some of my shirts inside my luggage, a knock on my door was heard. I did request for a bottle of wine for myself so I think it was that. I opened the door and it was someone else.

It was Cate... With the bottle of wine that I requested. She had the glasses and she asked if we can go to the beach for a night conversation. I did need some time for myself but I was somehow afraid.

"It'll be just you and me," Cate reassured.

I grabbed the room key, turned off the lights and grabbed my coat hanging on the rack. I walked along side her and then we didn't share any word. I decided to help her with bringing the glasses and she did allow me.

We reached the beach and the cold breeze meets our skin. I wore the coat and then slowly walked towards Cate who was already sitting on the grainy sand. I let myself sit next to her as I was comfortable enough, she gave me a glass of wine.

The sounds heard were the water crashing to the shore and the gentle breeze. I was trying to think about what to say but what was circling my head were the words the young lady told me. As the young girl's voice circles inside my head, Cate speaks--

"The kids called me a while ago," she said calmly this time. "They said that they filed against their father and it's doing good at the moment. If we will have to be back to America, can we go back first to Sussex? I have to check on them."

I took a sip of wine before I spoke. "I can book you another flight. You can go home alone then I'll head straight to New York. "

The sadness in her face explains everything. She hummed as she agrees to my suggestion. Cate pours more wine to her glass and then she also poured into mine as well. "So... UHM, what really happened?" Cate asks.

"What do you mean what happened?"

"Marks, bruises, and the cuts? What happened to you, Chris?" She asks.

I placed the glass on the sand and then replied, "As if you care about what happened." I pulled my legs closer to my chest and then I noticed my insides were shaking. Not because of the cold, but what happened.

His cold hands grabbing my waists. I remembered my uncle in every moment he did it. Remembering my young self innocently playing and then a person you trusted calls you for something you were not expecting. I was fucking young to experience and I swear to God, I just wished that I should have died that night.

His screams, his hands choking me, and him putting his... I started to think about him and it made me cry. I started shaking and then Cate brought me closer to her. "I'm sorry, baby. I'm sorry."