Just Some Things

Author's Note:  Thank you for all your support on this book! I appreciate it!
____________________________

Chris Stevens POV:

A cup of coffee was all I had in the past few days. I feel like there was no longer a soul left in my body after what happened. With my phone in my hand, a notification of the latest Google Article named Why Being Selfless Is Shit popped up. I went ahead and opened it.

The words explained what I was feeling and it was enough to explain the shit she made me do to make her happy. Jennifer did not consider me happy because what matters is that she was the only one enjoying the relationship-- well, she wanted more of my money.

...You giving you all is not a mistake. It is like a human to give their all when they love someone. You give them everything because that is how you show that you love them. But did it ever cross your mind, after giving everything, did you leave anything for yourself? Pouring yourself is not going to help because when things go downhill, you will be left... empty.

Reading its words was hurting me even more. I closed the app and then I see my wallpaper.  I went ahead and looked for a different picture to replace that goddamn picture. Seeing that picture every single day will surely ruin me. I need to do something to move on and this is the first thing that I can do.

While I was scrolling through the pictures, a knock on the door was heard. I let that person come in and leave me unbothered. "Good morning, Chris-- oh you're up? Want breakfast?" Cate asks and then I nodded.

A smile on her face was seen. 

Cate slowly go outs of the room and simultaneously, I managed to see a picture of us-- the picture when she brought me here in her apartment for the very first time. I changed my wallpaper and then when that was done, I placed my phone in my pocket.

Getting off the bed and standing up felt a bit weird. I was somehow losing my balance, and walking was nearly possible. I went ahead and placed my hand against the wall to have support until I reached the door. I had my hand meeting the cold gold door knob and the smell of fresh pancakes and bacon filling the apartment--
_________________________________________________________

--- Flashback ---

I was waking up and I did not know where I was. It alarmed me immediately because I should be at home at this hour so when I knew about the time, I looked for my phone in my pants. Reaching down, I noticed that I was not wearing my pants-- and noticed that it was on the floor with undergarments that are not mine--

*phone ring*

The phone started to ring and I immediately went down to get it. It was Jennifer calling. I moved the green phone button up and the words that immediately heard were, "Where the fuck are you? Are you fucking someone else while we are having this argument? Make things worse, Chris. Make fucking things worse--"

Hearing her words immediately drained me. I ended it and just went ahead to wear my clothes. While I was wearing my clothes, I was thinking about how I came here, and I was trying to find the answer to Jennifer's question. Who was I fuckin--

*sizzling* It surprised me. I was hearing someone cooking which alarmed me. Grabbing my phone and bag, I slowly walked out of the room and as I opened the door, there was a blonde woman in the kitchen. She seems to be focused on what she was doing so my goal is not to let her notice me heading out-- shit.

"You are now awake? Just in time for breakfast." She turned in time and--

Cate Blanchett. What the actual fuck? I was with her last night?

The woman placed the beautifully prepared meal on the kitchen counter and I was caught off guard when I saw her just wearing a button-up shirt. It froze me and the next second, without me knowing, she was already calling me again.

"You better bring your ass here, Chris," she said. She fucking knows me and knows my name. "Don't just stand there. It's like you have seen a ghost--"

"What happened last night?" Those were the only words that I could think of honestly. 

Cate wiped her hands while she was speaking. "You-- Well, you caught my eye and we danced on the dance floor. We talked and then you told me that you were going through something and I was now aware that you were taken--"

"But did something happen?" That was the only question that I wanted to confirm.

Cate was brought to a pause and then she answered, "I'm afraid so."

I did not know how to react honestly because the only thing that I remembered from last night is that I felt free and great. Cate said that I was free to leave because of the bad things that happened last night, but I decided to stay and join her for breakfast because--

What is the point? Jennifer is already mad at me so why not make things worse, I guess? 

She pulled out a chair for the both of us. As I was sitting down, I was really finding a part of last night to patch up to what I am experiencing now-- and god, how did I end up being with the greatest actress we have on the planet? Cate Blanchett does not deserve me at all. 

While we were eating, I was noticing her glancing at me, like she wants to tell or ask me something. I really wanted to ask her so I did. "What is it, Miss Blanchett?"

"Miss Blanchett was not the name you were calling me last night--" she said and my reaction made her chuckle. "Anyways, what made you want to stay and join me for breakfast?"

Swallowing the last piece of pancake, I went ahead and answered her question. "Jennifer was already mad and with her anger, going home is not safe at the moment-- wait you know Jennifer?"

"Yes, sweetheart," her endearment killed me. "The Jennifer. Your girlfriend that I think don't deserve you because you are too kind for this world and having her as your girlfriend is shit--"

"Don't call her that--"

Cate stopped me with her gaze. "I am sorry to offend you, but she really is. How about me-- just kidding." She joked and it caught me by surprise. "But after what you told me last night, she is just clearly using you. I do not want you getting hurt."

The next second, I was already seeing her hand on top of mine. I looked at it and then Cate removed her hand. She went ahead and took the plate in front of me and then placed it in the sink and then, she grabbed some mugs from the cupboard because it was time to serve coffee.

Because there was an awkward silence, I decided to break it. "So how was I last night? I really can't remember anything--"

"You want an honest answer?" She asked while she placed the cup in front of me. "You were spectacular."