A Woman Like Me

Cate Blanchett POV:

--- Throwback ---

I am here to celebrate because finally I can be free from the laws of marriage. Getting to fight and defend my right over my husband who cheated on me-- it really is amazing. I feel like I can breathe again.

The room was filled with blinding and colorful lights. Loud music was blasting and it really was deafening. Even though it was, the great music of ABBA's Gimme Gimme was sending sensations throughout my body.

Blowing outside the window as I look around the room. And it makes me so depressed to see the gloom.

"What can I offer you today, miss?" The attractive bartender came up to me and she even managed to wink at me.

"Anything you have to offer. I'm free." I replied and then a smirk grew on my face.

And then it was on her. The bantender wanted to buy me a drink and I was happy about it. She gave me one of the house's special and I must say, even though I don't what it was, it was sure delightful.

It was the alcohol coursing through my veins, and the toxins start to control my body. The light were starting to get blurry, almost giving a bokeh view. The music was getting to its peak and my body was starting to dance to it.

The bartender turned my seat and managed to face me to the dance floor. "How about you join her, free lady?" She told me.

There was a young lady dancing on the dance floor with her arms free yet beautiful floating in the air. I can't help but stare at her and be in awe. My vision suddenly became clear and all I could think of is manage to find a way to make her mine.

"Make a move," the bartender utters. I stood up and left my glass on the bar.

There's not a soul out there. No one to hear my prayer.

The woman somehow caught me and manage to fix her eyes on me. I was there, following her rhythm and moves, when she manages to dance along with me.

Gimme, gimme, gimme a man after midnight
Won't somebody help me chase the shadows away?

"I definitely find you attractive!" I was speaking loudly in the middle of the chaotic crowd.

The lady smiles and leaned closer to me and said, "Aren't you one as well." It made me blush and she continued to speak. This time, she managed to hold me around my waist and spoke more intimate with me. "I assume that a woman like you this beautiful, is single?" She asks and then with the smile on my face informed her right away.

Gimme, gimme, gimme a man after midnight
Take me through the darkness to the break of the day

She took me out of the dance floor and we drank by the bar. In the course of the conversation, I was starting the beautiful details on her face. The brown hazels that becomes vivid when the lights hit it. The luscious lips, the beautiful shaped face.

Her sultrous voice speaks to me, and it gets me hooked. And then she introduced herself to me. "My name is Chris and you look vaguely familiar? A celebrity perhaps?"

"You'll soon know that." I replied cheekily. "So... Why are you here by the way? Just for fun, perhaps?"

"Just cooling off. Damn girlfriend pissed me off. "

Fucking hell. She's taken? There is no chance for me to even continue this conversation with her. She somehow read me because she went ahead and place her hand on my lap, telling me that it's fine.

I went ahead and asked her questions. I suddenly became interested in her life. "Why did she piss you off? If it's okay for you to answer--"

"Caught her cheating but then she was there trying to convince me it was the guy's fault," drunk Chris was talking. With what I'm hearing, her girlfriend needs to calm down and let Chris go. "I do love her but I do need the time to set my mind free. "

I was thinking of telling Chris to do what she has done to her because damn-- her girlfriend needs to know what she is doing and how it's affecting her.

But then, I just met Chris. What makes my advice seem so significant to her? I'm just a middle aged actress, who ended up in some bar celebrating her divorce. I room a sip of my drink and her wish somehow shocked me.

"Why do people cheat? I want to know how it feels."
__________________________________________________________

--- Present ---

"Thank you," I said to the delivery man by the door.

She did not want to sleep on my bed because she smells like shit. Chris sometimes need to wake up. I always remind her that I'm her friend and she can be free and not care about being normal when she's around me.

But always, we had that argument last night whether she's going to sleep on the bed or on the couch. Here I am bringing her some soup to her, who slept on the carpet in the living room. Today will be tough on her and moving on is going to take a while-- but I'm sure she will make it through.

I opened the container and the aroma somehow waked her. Her eyes slowly opened. She slowly got up while I hold her hand, guiding her up and helping her to properly sit down. "Ah... Slowly-- there."

She's upright. I was looking for the utensils inside the paper bag when her soft voice broke the silence of the room. "Do you have Advil?"

"I do have, but you need to eat first--" I got to see her not being interested to listen to me, so I just followed what she asked for.

Going through the medicine box in the kitchen, Chris was there staring out of the window. She was the complete opposite. She is not the outgoing or optimistic person that brightens up everyone's day. Thinking about what I can do to make her happy is really difficult.

I gave her the pill and then followed by the glass of water. "Thanks," she said and then she gets up, and adjusts herself on the couch.

"Wait-- you're not going to eat?" I asked.

"You can have it, Cate. I'm sorry. I'm not in the mood to eat." And then she lies down, faces her body towards the window.

I took the soup and as I place the soup on the counter, the same question left her lips. "Why do people cheat? I want to know how it feels."