22. Living a dream

SPENCER
Getting to wake up on my own terms was amazing. I wasn't being forced awake at 3 AM because another unsub had decided to start - or continue - their killing spree.

At 9 AM, I sat up in my bed, a strange - yet comforting - smell wafting through my apartment. Curious, I stepped out of my bedroom, making sure to keep myself out of her view. That's when I saw her.

Y/N stood in my kitchen, her hair out of her face as she used a spatula to keep the eggs from sticking to the pan. I watched with a smile as Carter placed some plates at the small table near the TV.

Without either of them noticing, I quietly snuck back into my room, grabbed my phone and peeked around the corner, taking a photo of Carter sneaking a piece of bacon into his mouth while Y/N laughed.

"Good morning." I made my presence known, having chucked on a shirt so that Y/N and Carter wouldn't feel uncomfortable.

"Oh, Spencer! Good morning." Y/N smiled, plating up the food.

"What is all this?" I asked, curious.

"Breakfast. Carter and I wanted to formally thank you for helping us out, so we thought, what better way to thank you than by making breakfast. Judging by how well-rested you look, you slept well." Y/N chuckled, handing me my plate.

"I did. I wasn't being woken up at an ungodly hour." I chuckled, sitting down.

During breakfast, I admired Y/N and Carter. Even after a day or two, they had really connected, and I was grateful. I watched with a smile on my face as Y/N and Carter chatted, Carter talking about a dream he had, while Y/N listened to him with such love and curiosity. Right here, sitting with them, I didn't want to be anywhere else. I didn't want to be at the office, being briefed about a new unsub. I didn't want to be on the jet, heading to another city. I didn't want to be looking at crime scene photos or dead bodies. I wanted to be right here, listening as Y/N couldn't hold in her laughter when Carter made a silly face.

Sitting with them, it made me think about my future. I was only a year or two older than Y/N, working for the FBI, travelling all over the country. I often worried that my job would prevent me from finding someone to fall in love and settle down with. My job was demanding, as evidence by the relationship Hotch had with Haley and the relationship Rossi had with his ex-wives. For the first time in years, I was feeling at peace. I was feeling like my future was finally starting to show itself.

———

GENERAL
At 4:45 AM, Derek was woken up to the sound of his ringtone, which only meant one thing - case time. He groaned, getting out of bed and ready for whatever unsub he and the BAU would be facing today.

By the time he made it to work, he was confused when he didn't see Reid sitting in the conference room reading a book, completing a crossword puzzle or whatever it was that he liked to do so early in the morning. Soon enough, Emily, JJ, Rossi and Hotch arrived to the conference room, Penelope walking into the room, her tablet in her hands.

"Where's Reid?" Derek asked, confused.

"He's taking a few days off." Hotch exhaled.

"What if we need his genius brain to crack open the case?!" Penelope panicked.

"Is he okay?" JJ questioned, worried.

"Reid is fine. He's just taking some time for himself. And if we do need Reid's help, I'm sure he wouldn't mind helping us from his home. But, that's only if we need him." Hotch explained. Derek wasn't necessarily believing what Hotch was saying, but didn't want to piss of Hotch right before this next case.

Once the team was briefed, Hotch made his way toward the elevator, but Rossi stopped him.

"Let me guess. Reid's absence has something to do with Ms. Y/L/N and her son?" Rossi exhaled.

"He simply wants to help Y/N and Carter get stable." Hotch exhaled, quickly explaining his conversation with Spencer.

"It seems to me like Reid wants to do more than help Y/N and Carter get stable." Rossi smiled.

"Don't even go there, Rossi. His words were - and I quote: "She's just a friend of mine with a child who both need a place to stay for a while". I believed him when he said that." Hotch insisted.

"Whatever you say, Hotch. Now, let's get to the jet." Rossi exhaled, shaking his head.