11. Revelations and cause of death

Since the BAU officially took the case revolving around the unsub, M, things had been going steady.

Hotch had assigned Emily and Morgan to rescuing duty, which meant that they would be the ones who went to go and find the targets that M had given to Y/N, and bring them to safety. So far, they had been successful in rescuing 3 people, all of whom were very confused and very scared.

As for the rest of the team, with Penelope's expertise, Y/N, Rossi, JJ, Spencer and Hotch stayed back at the office, waiting for the next people to save.

"Okay, so we know - some of - your life and why your family was killed. Is there anyone else that M would trust enough besides you?" Hotch eyed Y/N, who exhaled, trying to remember. For the past 3 hours, she had been writing a list of names. This list consisted of every contract killer and contact that she knew of. Sure, the list of names so far had reached 30 people, but there was still a couple dozen names left for her to write down. M was a powerful man who hired as many contract killers as possible. How many had he actually hired since he started? Y/N guessed as little as 15,000 men and women.

"There's one man, Michael Shipley. M has spoken of him many times. I think that he was the man who took over my targets while I was out of work for 40 weeks." Y/N explained, looking down her list. His name was 5 names down from the top.

"Michael Shipley." Penelope repeated his name before she pulled her fingers away from her computer, putting his image up on the screen behind her.

"Y/N, is this what he looks like?" Rossi asked, concerned.

"I- I don't know. I don't remember ever seeing him before." Y/N shook her head.

"This photo shows Michael Shipley from 8 years ago. This was taken the day of his arrest after he got caught during a robbery. He was sentenced to 4 years in jail, but he was let out 2 years early for good behaviour." Penelope explained, showing her research.

"How old is Shipley now?" Hotch asked.

"Michael is now 32 years old." Penelope explained.

"So, he would've been 26 when Y/N started working for M." Spencer looked up at the photo.

"Hotch, I found Shipley's interrogation video. It seems as if he denied being in the wrong, right up until his partner ratted him out." Penelope spoke up, putting the video up on the screen.

"I swear! I didn't do jack-shit! It's his fault! He guilted me into it!" Michael pleaded as he growled at his arresting officer.

"You'll be sorry for this. You'll wish that you never arrested me." Michael threatened.

The video stopped, a look of horror on Y/N's face as she glared at the man on the screen.

"Y/N? What's wrong?" Spencer looked at the woman, who couldn't talk. She had a look of horror and disgust on her face.

"I- I recognise his voice. H- He's the one who..." Y/N covered her mouth in disgust, tears formed in her eyes. She covered her face, pushing herself away from the table.

"He's Carter's biological father." JJ sighed, now feeling extremely sad and devastated.

Y/N got up from her chair and exited the conference room, unable to stay in the same room with even the image of the man who took her teenage years from her. That man, that bastard is the biological father of her one and only child, a child that he - no doubt - helped M keep away from Y/N as a way to keep her loyal.

Instead of leaving the conference room to calm down before returning, she headed straight home. She locked her front door and closed her curtains, not interested in being blinded by the sunlight that had been slowly warning up the house since the early hours of the morning.

She - with force - sat down on the couch, letting out a very loud sigh, feeling the bile rise through her system, eventually getting close enough to her throat, that Y/N was forced from her position on the couch to a nearby toilet or sink. Everything that she had eaten for the past 24 hours was now out of her stomach and flowing down the drain as she vomited. When she knew that her stomach contents wouldn't come up any more, she wiped her mouth used some detergent to clean the sink that she had dirtied.

Just as she wiped the last of the soapy detergent away - revealing a now clean sink - a knock sounded at her front door. She smiled, knowing that she'd most likely find Spencer standing outside her door, which she did.

"Are you okay? You seemed quite...distressed when you left the office earlier." He asked, walking inside. Y/N didn't mind that he just walked in. He had become an acquaintance and by now, they were familiar enough with each other to have kindled a friendship that in all honesty, Y/N greatly appreciated.

"I honestly feel sick, disgusted, nauseated, repulsed. I can't think of anymore synonyms for sick and disgusted, but I'm quite sure that there are definitely more. I just learned the identify of the man who ruined my teenage years. That man...that- fucker is the father of my son. My sweet and innocent son is related to him. Just the thought of him makes my skin crawl, and yet I will have to remember him for the rest of my life." Y/N gagged, trying not to risk any more of her stomach contents from rising up.

"I'm sorry." Spencer spoke up.

"For what, Spencer?" Y/N asked.

"I'm sorry that all this has happened to you. You don't deserve to be burdened with the pain of remembering that man's face and the memory of what he did to you." Spencer shook his head, watching as Y/N sat down on the couch.

He followed her, sitting close enough to be comforting, but far enough away to remain friendly with her.

"I- I, uh, have a confession to make." Y/N spoke up, realising that he and his team knew more about her than anyone she knew, so it was only fair that she admit one more thing to him, as if to clear the air.

"What's up?" Spencer asked, confused.

"Catherine Adams is dead because of me." Y/N admitted, watching as Spencer's look of confusion dropped and instead, a look of shock appeared on his face.

"Hold on, you're referring to Cat Adams, the contract killer that me and my team took down?" Spencer confirmed with Y/N, who nodded.

"Yes. I snuck a needle into the Mount Pleasant Women's Correctional Facility. I lied to Catherine, pretending that I was a fan of hers. While we shook hands inside the prison, the needle - that was inside the watch that I was wearing - pricked her, releasing a lethal poison into her system. I got out without being detected." Y/N explained, trying desperately to hold her tears back.

To any normal person, they'd immediately label Y/N a murderer, someone who should be locked away. To Spencer, Y/N was a contract killer who was forced into a life she didn't want. Spencer honestly looked past the fact that she had killed his enemy, and instead focused on the fact that his enemy was dead.

"I had to lie in order to lure Cat out of hiding." Spencer revealed. The only people who knew the details of Catherine's arrest was the BAU, but considering he and Y/N had gone into revealing things, he decided to tell Y/N about his...feud with Cat.

"Really? What lie would lure such a highly dangerous criminal out of hiding?" Y/N asked, curious.

"I had to pretend that I was a married man who wanted his pregnant wife killed." Spencer exhaled, clearly not proud with the false identity he had to create in order to catch Cat.

"Oh, wow." Y/N gasped.

"Yeah. But it worked. We managed to get her out into the open. After 40 minutes of her wanting to play a game by asking questions, we managed to trap her into believing that we had found her father. I lied to her, explaining that I had found a homeless Daniel - her father - in Washington, D.C. The alcoholism had shredded his brain, rendering him unable to remember Cat." Spencer continued.

"She believed me when I told her that my team and I had brought him to her in an armoured van. It wasn't until she stood right outside the van that it was too late and that we had lied to her." Spencer leaned back.

"So...we're both horrible people then?" Y/N chuckled, watching as Spencer smiled.

"I guess we are." Spencer nodded.