8. Double Agent

SPENCER
Hotch wasn't exactly okay with Y/N being involved in her own investigation. He argued that Y/N might have only been using us as her escape back to her boss, so that maybe she could get out of the state and go back to killing again. But, JJ and I reassured him that Y/N seemed genuinely disgusted by her behaviour, and that all she wanted was to escape her boss and be free with her son.

As much as Hotch didn't want Y/N to be involved with the business and tactics of the team, I gave Hotch the same argument that Y/N had given to me.

It was true that none of the team were aware of how dangerous M could be, so Hotch hesitantly allowed Y/N to be in the conference room when they discussed him and his ever expanding business.

"Y/N is a consult. Reid has proven to us that Y/N is the only person in this room who knows enough about M and his business." Hotch informed the team, most of whom glared at her, trying to find a shred of evidence to prove that she couldn't be trusted. As for JJ and I, we kept glancing at Y/N, making sure she was okay.

"So, Y/N. How long have you known this...M person?" Morgan asked, eyeing Y/N, who exhaled.

"Officially, 6 years. Before I was forced to work with him, I had only ever met him once, through my father." Y/N explained.

"Your father?" Emily asked.

"My father worked for him before I did. It was because of my father that I was thrust into the contract killing life. He decided not to kill and as I explained to Dr. Reid, if one of his regulars decides to stop killing, or can't continue killing, - for whatever reason - they don't live long enough to escape." Y/N clasped her hands together.

"Because he didn't want to kill anymore, he himself was killed and I was next in line to take his place." Y/N shook her head.

"Okay. Let's get down to the nitty-gritty. What exactly is your job? We know you're a contract killer, but every contract killer is different." Rossi looked at Y/N, who nodded.

"You're right. Every contract killer is different. They kill different people, for different reasons. M has over a dozen different contract killers in his contacts list, and that list will grow and lessen however he sees fit. If he doesn't like someone based on how they kill, he'll dispose of them. If he likes someone based on their skills with weaponry, he'll hire then instantly." Y/N explained.

"As for me, I wasn't so happy with joining. He gave me a gun and expected me to carry out my father's work. I wasn't exactly complicit, so...they made me have Carter, as a way to keep me loyal." Y/N cried.

"Kill my targets or I'll kill your son. That's one hell of a bargain." Morgan gasped.

"That's horrible, Y/N." Penelope looked at Y/N, who exhaled.

"All I want is to hold him again. I've already missed the first 5 years of his life." Y/N sobbed.

"We'll do everything we can to make sure that he is returned to you, safely." I looked at Y/N, who smiled at me.

"Use me. Use me to get to M. He knows me. He knows that I'll do anything to keep my son alive. Using me to get to him is the best chance to bring him down." Y/N looked at Hotch, who shook his head.

"No. That's not happening. If he suspects - even if only for a moment - that you're working with us, then your son is gone." Hotch refused.

"I'm sorry, Agent Hotchner, but I'm not requesting or asking for your permission. I'm demanding, because I know - for a fact - that I can get you secret access to all of M's business. Dr. Reid trusts me, so why don't you?" Y/N glared at Hotch, who exhaled before pinching the bridge of his nose.

"Fine. But all of your contact with him must go through either me or Reid. Every conversation, every file, every shred of information will be monitored by Penelope. You understand me?" Hotch glared back at Y/N.

She looked at me, before looking back at Hotch.

"I understand." Y/N nodded, sitting back down.

Y/N
Penelope pushed your phone toward you, a small smile on her face. With the entire team watching, you lifted the phone off the table and held it in your hands. You clicked on his contact and began typing.

You: Sorry that I've been MIA for the past couple of days. The Feds and cops were close to catching me, so I had to lay low. I have the proof that I killed Mr. and Mrs. Norton.

M: And here I thought you had died. Lucky you. As for the proof, I don't need it. I know you well enough to trust that you got the job done. But, let me guess, you'd like proof of life?

You: Yes please. I'm also looking for my next job. You do still want me to kill for you, correct?

M: Proof of life will be provided shortly. As for your newest job, strap in. It's a doozy.

You glanced up at the screen, watching as Penelope instantly uploaded the messages to her system. She clicked on the video that was sent to you.

She pressed play and on the screen showed Carter, sitting on a mattress. He looked slightly better, still pale. It looked like he had slept and had something - maybe small - to eat.

As for the file, Penelope pulled it up on the screen once the video ended.

"So, now we know that Carter is okay. As for the file, we now know who M's next target is." Rossi nodded.

"I'm ready to...do my job...when you're ready to let me go." You exhaled.

"Excuse me? No. Just because you have contact with him, doesn't mean that you can go ahead and start committing murder again, especially since you're cooperating with our Federal Investigation." Agent Hotchner shook his head, refusing.

"Do you want him to get suspicious? I offered my service to him. He took it like he normally does. He gave me - and unbeknownst to him, you - another file, describing his next victim. The moment they don't show up dead, he gets suspicious. You lose me - your only lead and viable entry into his business - and I lose Carter." You fought against him.

"It's your choice, Agent Hotchner. Are you willing to risk the life of an innocent little boy and his mother, just for the sake of keeping your investigation within the boundaries of stupid fucking protocols?" You whispered the last bit, not wanting anyone outside the conference room to hear.

As for the people inside the conference room, everyone looked at you, clearly shocked. Agent Jareau and Spencer were looking between you and Agent Hotchner. Agent Morgan, Agent Prentiss, and Agent Rossi were clearly waiting for someone to speak and Penelope just kept her head down and continued typing away at her computer.