1. Puppet

Some people kill for attention. Some people kill to build fear. Y/N? She kills for family.

Grief can take the weirdest forms. Some people lash out when they grieve. Some people cook endless amounts of food when they grieve. Some people just lay in bed and cry when they grieve.

Y/N was different. Y/N was alone. Her family was murdered. Her mother's neck was sliced open. Her father was shot, execution style. Her younger brother was shot right in the heart, before being hung from the backyard balcony.

Who discovered the bodies? Y/N. At the age of 16, she came home from a concert to find her mother's body in the living-room, her father's body in his study, and her brother's body hanging from the balcony. Most people, at this point, would have called the police. But not Y/N. She knew who killed her family. The man in question was an American Mafia leader. He was the big boss. Every choice went through him. Every order came from him. He chose who did his dirty work and who would be let go.

In this instance, he murdered Y/N's family because her father refused to kill someone. So, in return, he himself was killed. From the moment the bullet went straight through his body, all of his untouched jobs - all of his future targets - were instantly transferred to Y/N. She didn't want to hurt people. She had been nothing but kind to everyone she had ever met, but if she didn't do what she was told, then she would have ended up 6 feet under. So, when he showed up at her house and handed her a brand new - never used - gun, she knew she couldn't back away.

From that day on, she had become the thing that her father refused to become - a contract killer.

———
(Present Day)

A 22-year-old Y/N stood outside the Mount Pleasant Women's Correctional Facility, her line of sight moving from one side of the building to the other. After 6 years, Y/N still hated the thought of harming another human. The thought made her sick to her stomach. The idea of having to end someone else's life made her want to crawl into bed and cry.

Feeling something buzzing in her pocket, she pulled out her burner phone and clicked the answer button, immediately knowing who was on the other side of the call.

"Are you wearing it?" His voice echoed in her head as she exhaled.

"Yes. The needle is inside my watch." Y/N closed her eyes and took a moment to relax and calm herself down.

"Good. You remember what you need to do?" He asked.

"Yes. I do." Y/N answered.

"Good. Call me as soon as the job is done." He hissed before the line went dead, forcing Y/N to pull the phone away from her ear. She put the phone back in her pocket and started to walk toward the entrance to the building.

The job was simple. Well, simple enough for a contract killer. Y/N was expected to get inside the prison and kill a woman named Catherine Adams. From Y/N's knowledge, Cat Adams was a contract killer who targeted the Behavioural Analysis Unit. That was her mistake. Y/N was aware of the BAU, and had actively avoided being detected by them. She was lucky that her boss had never made her do anything worth being investigated.

She made it through security easy enough, only needing to remove her watch and her phone. Soon enough, she sat down at one of the tables, her phone in her pocket and the watch on her wrist. She and Cat had communicated a few times, Y/N explaining herself to be a massive fan of Catherine's work. In reality, Y/N hadn't actually heard of Catherine until she was ordered to kill her. Y/N really didn't like contract killers to begin with - how ironic.

"You must be Y/N. It's a pleasure to meet you." Cat smiled as she sat down. Y/N shook hands with the dishevelled woman, who looked like she hadn't slept for days.

"The pleasure is all mine." Y/N smiled. Her right hand shook Catherine's right hand, while her left hand covered Catherine's hand. To anyone else watching the interaction, Y/N was simply excited to meet the inmate. Unbeknownst to them, Y/N had just ensured Catherine's death. As Catherine pulled away, she quickly rubbed the top of her hand, a smile remaining on her face.

For the next 30 minutes, she and Catherine talked. Well, most of the talking came from Catherine, who was more than happy to describe her up-close encounter with Dr. Spencer Reid.

Soon enough, Y/N was saying goodbye to Catherine, before she exited the prison. The moment she was breathing in the air outside, she pulled out her phone and dialled his number.

"Ah, Y/N. I'm guessing that the job was completed?" He asked.

"She will be dead within the next 2 hours." Y/N exhaled, confirming his suspicion.

"Well done. Your payment will be in your account tonight. Listen closely for your next job." He explained.

"Excuse me?" Y/N's eyes widened.

"Is there a problem, Y/N?" He growled.

"You said that when I did my job, I'd be free to go and you'd give him back to me." Y/N stated.

"Are you...rejecting my order?" He sounded confused, almost offended.

"I- I-" Y/N stuttered. She had to pick her next words wisely.

"You know, I could always have him killed. That way you have no reason to leave." He chuckled.

"No. I- I'm not rejecting you." Y/N was on the verge of tears.

"Good choice. But, let me clarify for you. You will continue to do any and all jobs that I give you, until I feel satisfied with your service. When I am satisfied, then you shall be paid and free to go with him." Her boss explained, speaking slowly and carefully to her.

"I- I understand." Y/N looked up at the sky, trying to prevent herself from crying. That's when the line went dead. The call was over. Y/N was standing outside a prison with a phone to her ear as she tried not to cry.

"Fuck you!" She screamed at her phone, imagining her boss in her head as she cursed.