extended epilogue • graduation again

Ivy Kingstonfive and a half years later

Ivy Kingston
five and a half years later

My alarm blares and I groan, slapping at my phone to turn off the noise. It shuts off for a second before it blares again and I reluctantly open my eyes, noting it's not actually my alarm and instead a phone call from my husband.

I grin at the word in my head, knowing that after two years of being married, the word still doesn't get old.

Nathan was extremely bummed out when he realized that because of his triple major in real estate, business management, and architecture, he wouldn't graduate in four years but would instead need six, and per our agreement when we got engaged I wouldn't let us get married until after we both graduated. Giving us probably the longest engagement ever.

He stayed true to his word and we didn't get married until after he graduated... we waited until the day after.

He had to fly out for a business trip to Denver on the day of his graduation and I went with him. We found a minister who had space for us the next day and tied the knot that morning before Nathan went to his meetings for the day.

But nobody knew that we had eloped so when we got back to the city we got to have the small wedding of our dreams on a rooftop with only our closest family and friends in attendance.

My phone goes silent for a second and then rings again, knocking me out of my thoughts and urging me to finally pick up the phone call from Nathan.

"Hi." I answer the phone, finally sitting up in bed.

"Are you still asleep?" He asks, my sleepy voice obvious.

"How could I be asleep if I'm talking to you?"

"Ok, my wife that is very much not asleep. Will you be ready for your sister's graduation when I pick you up in half an hour?"

"That's today?" I practically scream, sure all the people on the street heard me yell.

"It is today, and considering CJ had to beg the school to give her enough tickets for all of us we shouldn't be late."

I'm scrambling off the bed, my phone still glued to my ear as I shuffle over to the bathroom attached to our bedroom in my bunny slippers, "Ok, ok. I promise I'll be ready in half an hour."

"Ok. I'll see you soon, Princess. I love you."

"I love you too." The dial tone rings out shortly after our parting words and I toss my phone down on the bathroom counter, running my hands over my face as a yawn takes over me.

Looking at my face in the mirror I strike a pose, 24 has never looked so good.

I brush my hair, wash my face and put on my makeup, moving slower than I probably should considering Nathan is going to be here in less than a half hour but I really can't move any faster with a giant watermelon attached to my stomach. This baby has been in here so long that I feel like I'm going to pop open with every step I take.