chapter fifteen • good news

Ivy Matthews

Ivy Matthews

"Alright, everyone. I have your quizzes from Tuesday about the Bill of Rights graded. I do have to say I am certainly impressed with the improvement in some of you from the last few tests from this one. When I call your name please come up and get your test." My history teacher booms from the front of the classroom with a stack of red-marked papers in his hand.

He starts calling different students names and they all go up to the front to collect their papers, some walking away with happy smiles and some walking away with sullen frowns on their faces.

My name is finally called and I walk up to the front, collecting my paper from his hands and making my way back to my seat before I even open the paper, preferring to not let others see the disappointment on my face. Pretending to brace myself as I flip the paper over to the front a big 93% is circled on the front of the paper. I almost scream with happiness but contain myself at the last minute so my classmates don't think I'm insane.

The teacher finishes passing out papers and claps his hands together dramatically, "with these tests being handed out that concludes all of our grades on the Revolutionary War unit. We don't start our next unit until next week so I'm going to put on a movie about the revolutionary war. You may do work for other classes but please don't go on your phones."

He retreats back to his desk and pulls up the movie, the sounds of horns echoing through the screen's speakers as the film starts.

The first 15 minutes of the movie go through quietly, everyone half paying attention to the soldiers leaving their homes and half paying attention to whatever else they are doing.

My teacher's voice cuts through the silence, "Ivy, can you come up here for a moment."

The summoning of me up to the teacher's desk shocks my awareness awake and I just shake my head in his direction while I walk over to his desk, feeling the eyes of several classmates burning into my back.

"What do you need to talk to me about?" I answer, trying to tamp down the nerves in my voice.

He takes one look at my probably very scared-looking face and lets out a single chuckle, "don't worry, you aren't in trouble. I just wanted to inform you of the good news!"

"Uh, what good news?"

"Thanks to your stellar grade on our most recent quiz, your grade has been raised up to a 71 and you are officially passing this class."

"That's great! My parents are going to be so happy." The word comes out of my mouth funny and I inwardly cringe, still feeling shame for not telling my parents that I was failing my classes in the first place. "Is that everything?"

"That's everything, just wanted to give you the good news."

I hit him with a smile and make my way back to my desk feeling both guilt over not telling my parents and happiness that I'm only failing one class now.