chapter sixteen • hawaiian shirts

Ivy Matthews

Ivy Matthews

The whole rest of the day and my ride home from school I'm giddy with excitement at telling Nathan about all the good news that happened today. So when the doorbell rings I jump up from my bed and quickly make my way down the stairs to answer the door.

I swing the front door open with a huge smile, revealing a freezing Nathan standing there, teeth chattering as a wicked gust of wind sweeps through the street. I get caught up staring at him for a little too long because he takes the tiniest step towards the house, reminding me that he's still out in the bitter cold of New York in February.

"Sorry." My cheeks flame, "come in. I have a bunch of super good news that I need to tell you!"

He crosses the threshold into the foyer and shakes his shoulders a little when he's finally engulfed in the warmth of my house instead of the cold from outside.

"So?" He questions while he takes his beanie off his head and shakes out his loose brown curls, "what's the good news?"

"I can't tell u here. We have to go upstairs." I whisper, hyper-aware of my parents watching a show in the living room.

Both of my parents call out a greeting to Nathan as we walk past them on the way up to my room, my dad shouting his classic "keep the door open!" that he does every time Nathan comes over. I click my door shut and stride over to my bed, plopping down on the edge while Nathan remains rigid at the door like the very first time he came over.

He stares at me for a second before he joins me on the bed, it dipping with the weight of him and his backpack.

"So..." He trails off and my brain short circuits for a second while I just keep looking at him.

"Oh, right! My good news! Well... first of all, guess who got a 93 on her history quiz? Me! Ugh, it was such a good feeling I had to actually stop myself from squealing with happiness in the middle of class."

"I'm proud of you, princess. You worked really hard on that quiz." His approval and his compliment have something warm growing in my chest, making me feel all fuzzy.

I do a bounce on my hands and turn towards him, the excitement practically flowing out of me, "and that's not even the best part! because of my amazing, incredible 93% on my test, I'm not failing U.S. History anymore!"

"That's one down and one to go."

In a moment of desperation to get closer to him, I throw myself on his lap and wrap my arms around his neck, pulling him to me as I give him the biggest hug I can muster.

The clean scent of him throws me for a loop and when I can finally find the words my voice is muffled against his shoulder, "I couldn't have done it without you. Thank you! Thank you!"

"You couldn't have done it if you didn't want to try." He counters, his voice slightly muffled while one of his hands is resting on my back and lighting the skin it touches on fire, "I just aided you, you were the one who put in the work."