epilogue • loophole

Nathan Kingstonone and a half years later

Nathan Kingston
one and a half years later

I really hope Ivy doesn't hate my loophole.

It had been on the tip of my tongue for what to do after she told me that she wanted to wait to get married until after we both had graduated. But the key word she said was that she wanted to wait to get married. That choice of words only struck me a few weeks ago when I realized the loophole and immediately called Dylan to ask for her advice.

She was torn between whether I should do it or not but was ultimately supportive and helpful for what I needed her part to be.

And today is finally the day.

I picked up the ring from the jewelers earlier this morning, I made a reservation at the restaurant where we had our first date and I got Dylan to whisk her away on a day of spa and beauty treatments.

With how busy Dylan has been lately I'm sure she was grateful for the break too.

While Ivy was having her relaxing spa day at one of the best Spas in New York City I had the most nerve-wracking day of my life. I knew how important Ivy's parents are to her so I made the trip over to her parent's house so I could ask them for their permission to marry her.

Knocking on the door with the ring box burning a hole in my pocket and my nerves sure to eat me up any minute I feel somewhat relieved when Ivy's kid sister, Carolina opens the door rather than one of her parents.

"Hi Nathan, why are you here?" She says with her cheery smile and round cheeks.

"I wanted to have a chat with your mom and dad, are they here?" I ask, keeping my hands fully in my pockets partially from the cold and partially because of my nerves.

"oh, yeah. Mom! Dad! Nathans here and wants to talk to you!" She yells before walking away from the door, leaving it open for me to walk in behind her.

I shrug my coat off and toe off my boots in the main entryway and then follow behind her into the main area of the house.

"Carolina we told you to not yell in the house if it's not necessary." Her mother scolds her before turning a warm smile in my direction, "Hey, Nathan. How are you? What did you want to talk about?"

"I'm doing pretty good, nothing to complain about." I try to joke but my voice is so caught with nerves I doubt it has the intended effect, "could we talk somewhere a little more private?"

"Yes, of course. Do you want anything to drink?" She asks, regardless of my terrible attempt at a joke.

"Water would be great." I respond with a scratchy throat.

"Alright, I'll get you some water and meet you in the home office, August is already in there so you can head in."

Yes two minutes alone with my girlfriend's dad seems like exactly what I need right now.