chapter forty one • last day

Ivy Matthewsone month later

Ivy Matthews
one month later

I'm sitting in my last class of the day, on my last day of high school, my knees bumping up and down anxiously while watching the clock tick down towards the final school bell of my entire life.

Ever since I got the email that my grades are good enough to graduate I've been coasting through my classes, turning all my energy into waiting for the last day while dodging almost daily attempts from Jason for me to give him another chance or hook up with him again.

As if my not having a boyfriend anymore would make me stoop down to that level again.

Our teacher drones on and on about a speech that we are going to all do big things after high school and that we shouldn't do drugs or get pregnant as a teenager so we can continue to make Shelton proud that I'm probably only quarter-listening to the same way I'm sure everyone else is. Instead, my eyes are focused on the clock above the door as the second hand ticks closer to when the bell will ring.

It's down to a ten-second count down and my leg bouncing becomes more excited and more difficult to contain with every second it ticks down. Our teacher is in the middle of recalling his high school experience when we're saved by the bell and everyone jumps out of their seats, fleeing the classroom and bounding down the halls. I just run for the entrance along with the rest of the students, desperate for summer and for prom tonight.

I spot Dylan when I'm almost at the front door, "Dylan!"

She turns around at my shriek and yells back, bouncing back and forth on her feet with one of the biggest smiles I've ever seen on her face, "Ivy!"

I run to her and she wraps her arm around my shoulder, both of us now running outside towards our car in tandem, our happiness basically shooting out of our pores.

"I can't believe that we just had our last day of high school and we have prom tonight. I'm so excited!" I squeal as Dylan and I climb into the car, officially done with high school.

Well... except for our graduation in three weeks.

"I know! I'm never going to have to hear the pledge of allegiance in Apple Martoni's squeaky voice ever again, freedom truly is liberating." Dylan adds in, closing the door behind us and settling into her seat.

The front door bounds open and Jackson is practically soaring into the passenger seat, "Woohoo! No more high school for this guy!" He calms down slightly as he closes the door behind him and buckles his seatbelt but then he turns around to us, and keeps talking, "You gonna go to prom with me, Hartley?"

"In your dreams." Dylan snorts back.

"C'mon, why not? I'm hot, obviously, you're hot, we'd be so hot together." He begs, seemingly desperate to get her to go prom with him.

Throughout my time knowing Dylan and my brother I've suspected that he might have had a teeny crush on her but asking her to prom is really pulling out the big guns.