chapter twenty seven • date night

Ivy Matthews

Ivy Matthews

Punctual as ever my phone pings with a text at 5:42 while my mom is trying to decide which heels go best with the outfit we picked out.

From Nathan💋: I'm at the light by your house. I'll be there in a minute or two.

Tonight I was told by my mom to dress to impress, which I would like to think I always do, but tonight I'm wearing a dark red corset top paired with a pair of high-rise black velvet pants. I'm fully covered in all aspects jewelry, sporting a couple of stacked bracelets, my classic Tiffany heart locket necklace, and my usual earring stack.

As I'm going to type a response it seems like there's an 'aha' moment behind me and my mom turns to me with a giddy smile holding a classic pair of black platform-heeled boots. It was the pair I had thought would go best with my outfit, but they do say that great minds think alike. Sliding the boots on and zipping them up I grab a small shoulder bag to carry my phone and wallet in before both of us descend the stairs.

The rumble of Nathan's motorcycle hits my ears first, followed closely by my father's words as he keeps switching his gaze from us coming down the stairs and the view from the window next to the front door, "no! Absolutely not! My daughter will not be getting on a motorcycle with a boy I barely know."

"You've met him a bunch of times, I thought you liked Nathan, daddy." I phrase half as a question and half as a statement.

"I liked him a hell of a lot more before he wanted to put my precious cargo on the back of that deathtrap." My dad rebuts, going to open the door for Nathan before I have the chance to beat him to it.

"Hello, Mr. Matthews," Nathan says when the door opens.

"Are you planning on killing my daughter tonight?" My dad says at the same time that Nathan politely greets him.

Nathan seems shocked by the question and the tone of his voice answering with an unsure, "no?"

My dad opens the door wider to let him in and I get the first good look at him since I couldn't before with my dad blocking the door. He has a vintage-looking leather jacket gracing his top half with a dark red button up underneath, the top few buttons undone and one of his chest tattoos barely peaking out from underneath. On his bottom half, he's wearing a dark pair of dress pants that drape across his legs perfectly and the new shoes we got at Urban Outfitters last week during the shoot.

"Wow." This is the first word that comes out of his mouth when he sees me, somehow ignoring the angry father standing next to him with his arms crossed against his chest, "you, wow."

I giggle at his loss of words, "you wow, yourself." I cross the room over to him while my mom restrains my dad from separating us.

"Do you have a helmet for her?" He asks, still trapped in a bear hug of my mom's doing.