Chapter 15

Chaewon's POV

"I'm sorry about her, but I did warn you." Kazuha whispered in my ear while her mother asked me every possible question about our relationship over dinner. I just shook my head dismissively, she was way too worried, it seemed her mother just cared about her daughter.

"Yes Mrs Bae, we've been friends for a few months now." Out of Kazuha's father and mother, I was more scared of the latter. She had a subtle aura, one to be intimidated of, and it seemed she was aware of it.

"I see. I'm sorry if I'm being too..overbearing. It's just that Kazuha has never brought anyone home, be it a friend or a partner. But I'm glad the first one is you, Chaewon." Suzy smiled genuinely, and I felt way more at ease as I felt a familiar hand rest on my thigh under the table.

"Oh, don't worry, my mother was way worse with my partners while I was growing up." I recalled the multiple occasions where all my boyfriends and girlfriends were banished from my house through my teen years, my mother didn't even like Haechan that much.

"Chaewon unnie, when did you have your first boyfriend?" Haerin asked excitedly over the table, only to be interrupted by Kazuha, whose grip on my thigh tightened ever so slightly.

"No boyfriends until you're eighteen." Kazuha warned, not even bothering to look up from her plate as her sister complained almost immediately.

"But you had girlfriends when you were my age!" She protested, and I could only smile at how they acted exactly like siblings, it made me miss Ningning.

"Well, I just hid them well." Kazuha raised an eyebrow and smirked, knowing Haerin would accept defeat and sulk.

"I'm sorry, what am I hearing right now?" Suzy now turned to Kazuha, seemingly have agreed with her previous point until she'd heard about Kazuha's forbidden conquests.

"Come on Suzy, don't start something in front of our guest." Minho tried to calm the situation, smiling at me nervously.

"It's okay Mr Choi, I'm actually enjoying this right now. Tell me about your girlfriends, Kazuha." This time it was my turn to raise my eyebrow and smirk, as a flustered Kazuha glared at Haerin to keep her quiet.

"Let's all just eat some brownies!" Kazuha clapped her hands together once, wanting to change the subject all of a sudden and I shoved her with my elbow playfully.

//

"Thank you for the meal, Mrs Bae, it was delicious." I helped her take in the dishes while Kazuha was pulled away by Haerin again.

"You're welcome any time sweetheart. I like you, and I don't like a lot of the people my daughter hangs around with." She gave me a knowing look, and I felt myself smiling at the validation, it was a relief to know Kazuha's parents liked me.

"Don't worry, I'll be a good influence on her."

"I know Kazuha is a difficult girl, but I'm glad you're friends, she tends to not handle relationships well and runs away. It doesn't seem that way with you though, she looks happy, and I feel more at ease with her being away from home so much." She looked down, and I wasn't sure if she was deep in thought or about to cry, so I said the first thing that came to my mind.

"I'll always care for her."

"What I'm trying to say is, I hope you stay as friends. My daughter is reckless, she doesn't realise how good you are for her. And I don't want her to run away, not while I'm not there to look out for her, so don't give her something to run away from." Her eyes turned cold, and that's when I realised that this seemed more like a warning than a heartfelt conversation.