as the unknown ascent

Start from the beginning

Hindi pa ako nakakasagot ay malumanay akong hinintay ni Novan na makatayo bago maingat na hinila sa ibabaw. I heard Freya called for him but somebody stopped her. Their mayhem continued until it turned to shouts and raging yells, but their voices lowered down as we left and entered a room.

Tinignan ko ang kamay namin ni Novan na magkahawak. Hindi niya ako binitawan. Mahigpit pa rin ang pagkakahawak niya sa'kin. Tila ayaw niya akong bitawan, parang sa'kin na lang siya kumakapit.

Napahinga ako nang malalim at tahimik, ang tingin ko umikot na lang sa kwarto. It was a huge one with minimal designs. I concluded right there that it was Novan's room.

I didn't bother asking why he wanted to leave. Maybe he's fed up, maybe he pity her, maybe he's... reluctant of what's going on down there. Maybe he still loves Freya that's why he couldn't bring himself to see her downfall. Maybe that's why he left, and the thought of it suffocated me more.

"Solace..." Novan looked back at me. His hold on my hand tightened, but I was too focused on my thoughts to even look at him.

"Freya performed ECT..." I huffed for air, discarding what I was thinking, "She did more than just an offense. But surely, she had her reasons, right? She's your ex-fiance. Surely, you knew her?"

Tila naging lason sa'kin ang sinabi ko. Humigpit ang puso ko sa mismong salitang lumabas sa dibdib ko pero hindi 'yun sinagot ni Novan. Hindi ko alam bakit. Baka gaya ko ay hindi niya rin masabi dahil lason 'yun sakanya.

Still, it was absurd hearing that Freya did that. It might not be dangerous to many, but it has an unbelievably faulty effect on some people. They can die from that. Go crazy even. I don't care how they expose her. What she did is unacceptable as a doctor herself, but if she has a good reason for it then maybe...

"Solace..." Novan called again.

Napatingin na ako sakanya dahil do'n. Hindi ko alam anong ekspresyon ang pinapakita ko pero kita ko ang lungkot sa mukha niya. Hindi ko tuloy alam kung nakikinig siya sa nais kong ipahiwatig kaya hinawakan ko rin pabalik ang kamay niya. Mas mahigpit pa sa hawak niya.

"Is the patient alive...? They're fine, right?" I asked him, hoping that they are.

Mas lalong lumungkot ang tingin niya sa'kin, "The patient is alive, Solace. The patient is well."

Napabuga ako ng hangin sa sagot niya. I almost clasped my hand to show how grateful I am, but Novan's expression bothered me the most. He looks regretful and crestfallen. Ni hindi siya makatingin sa'kin nang sabihin niya 'yun at hindi ko alam bakit ako kinakabahan.

"Novan, are you okay?" I asked.

"I'm sorry... It was my plan, Solace. To expose them like this..." Umiwas siya ng tingin, "After what they did to you and to me. And I know you wouldn't like it, but I still did it."

I blinked, surprised. But I tried to smile, "It's fine! You did what you have to, right? They deserve it unless they have a good reason, Nov. For now, I know that Freya deserves it if she did it for selfish reasons."

Malungkot siyang ngumiti, "You really find reasons for everything... even to those who did you badly."

Napakurap ako, "I-it's just like an impulse! Maybe they wanted to be heard, maybe they have reasons for doing that!"

He chuckled, "How can even a person like you exist? You're too kind to be here."

Hinampas ko siya at akmang sasagutin pero bago pa man ako makasagot ay bumukas ang pintuan at pumasok ang nagngangalit na si Freya. Her eyes are bloodshot from crying as she glared at me.

"Freya?" Napakurap ako sakanya.

"You...!"

My brows met when she pointed me but before we could even react, her steps already closed the gap between us and her palm already flew to slap me. Tumagilid ang mukha ko sa lakas ng sampal niya pero hindi siya tumigil do'n. Even when Novan tried to stop her, she already jumped on me. Bumagsak kami sa lupa ngunit wala akong kalaban-laban sa lakas niya. Ramdam kong hinila niya ang buhok ko. Sa sobrang higpit ng hawak niya ay napasigaw ako sa sakit!