Part 81: The Second Strike

Start from the beginning

You smiled a little, trying to be reassuring, the best you could do not to laugh at his upset. "Yes, on the trail. Luc got spooked by a garden snake, I think."  You try to straighten up. "I held tight, though. Henry double checked my cinches for me, thank goodness."

"One was a little loose, but I got it," Henry smiled.  You smiled too, because he did double check your cinches...in the barn after kissing you breathless. Graham was called away (or Henry arranged it) and you both seized the opportunity for time alone. 

Graham blinked. "Good."

"She could have been hurt, Graham," Henry said seriously. 

"You should thank him, Graham. You were the one who put my saddle on." You frown.

Graham's cheeks colored and his face was not one of gratitude. He gives a respectful half bow. "Thank you, sir."  He turns his horse. "We can all ride back now."

You and Henry nod in agreement and ride on, but not before mouthing "I love you" to each other the second Graham's back turned.

You look down at your tea, and you pour Luna some in your saucer with a giggle. Graham said he would have tea with you in a bit, and truthfully you prefer the cat's company to his anyway.  You decide to call Wilson again. You miss him. He had to go back to London before you went on the weekend trip and said he'd be in touch. No answer, still. You miss his walks, the things he taught you...he was more like an uncle than a guard. You smile at the memory of him telling Henry to "stand by her. You may be all the lady has."

You take a shower and put on leggings and a long sleeve top. You are about to put on your favorite slippers when you see Luna on the chair. She is asleep. 

"Luna, hey, don't sleep yet, have some salmon first." You walk over and pick her up, but she is limp! "Luna? Luna!" You shake her, and then hold her body to your ear. You hear a heartbeat, and exhale in relief. Then you realize...the tea! Something is wrong with it! "Oh, God." Your heart drops to your stomach and then returns, only to thud hard in your chest. Someone spiked your tea!

Your throat grows tight, and you remember Wilson's training.

"Listen, lass," Wilson told her. "I've got a hunch about something, and I've got to go to London."

"Let me go with you," you plead. "Graham is annoying."

"He--he's a bit more than that."

You laugh, but he looks serious.

"If you feel unsafe, go someplace there is," Wilson suggests. "or stay with Henry."

"But I have a meeting with --"

"Meetings can be postponed," he frowns. "Promise me you'll leg it if something's off."

The only person that could have spiked it is Graham. There is no one else in the house. You lock the door, and go to your closet. Wilson told you if you were ever in trouble, to hide in the forest. You knew how to survive there, but you don't know it as well as you'd like. You look at the pretty purple hiking bag that Graham gave you. There was barely a thing in it, and it lit up like crazy with the reflectors. You go to your Victoria's Secret box and pull your second go bag from under lingerie, the one Wilson suggested you have if you need to hide. You put the purple bag inside of the black one, just in case, and retrieve your leg pack as well. Your chest rises and falls with panic as you check each to make sure nothing has been messed with. You see your second phone, turning it on to see if it's charged. It is. You smile, but then you see you have a message. You call and hear Wilson's voice.

"Okay, listen, lass," Wilson's voice sounds intense. You hear the rev of a car engine in the background. "Whatever you do, don't trust Graham. His family controlled your accounts before you were found, and there was a deal in the works to--speaking of the devil." You hear wheels screeching. "Damn it! Leg it, you got me?! Leg it and don't trust--"

The line goes dead and your mouth is dry. You put on your hiking boots and jacket. You fill your water bottles with water, even your gourd, which was in the bag. You have granola bars and snacks, even chocolate. You pull your fire ladder out of your closet-another blessing from Wilson-and open the window. You hook it to the sill and throw it over.

You hit speed dial.

"Hello, darling--"

"Henry, get out here, quick, and bring the police."

"What?" He pauses. "Sweetheart, I'm halfway to London now, what's--"

"Luna had spiked tea."

"What?!"

"Only Graham could have done it--please, get here!"

"Graham?!" His voice got serious. "How--"

The phone is dead. Why is it dead? 

You look at the phone. No reception! None!

Suddenly there is knocking. 

"Lady Edenvale!" you hear Graham's voice.

You get some toilet paper and dip it in the tea. Then you put Luna and the saucer under the bed, with Luna on top of the toilet paper. You shove the Victoria's Secret box under the bed and scramble for the window. 

You sprint to the car. Locked! Locked! You look up at the house, and see Graham frowning at you. Time to go.

The closest police station is forty minutes away. Henry is halfway to London, but with his driving, he can get back...but not fast enough. You know your forefather died here and was hidden for years. It looked like lightning was striking twice.

And it's getting dark.

"