Chapter 4: Black Stallions & Bikes

Henry looks so damned natural on a horse, you think as you watch him go by at full gallop. You went on the boring horseback ride since the scenery was a dream, having not been on a horse in years, and he insisted that you go on it with him. Then you sent him on his way to really ride the way he should on his level. What he didn't know, what he didn't realize, was that you love caring for horses more than riding them. You enjoy how they majestic they are, and how easy they are to talk to.

"Tomorrow I am supposed to go on an interview, Midnight," you tell the black Thoroughbred as you brush his hair. "I don't even know what a junior assistant on a movie set does, but when I saw how much they were paying, I decided to try it." Midnight snorts at you, and you laugh, feeding him a carrot. "Oh, I'd rather be here with you, Midnight. That's why I saved you for last. I'd rather be here with you and a nice full moon, if you must know...maybe on a riverbank, hidden by trees where we can just watch the night unfold, you and me? That...that would be beautiful. And if we could ride the night, that would be—"

"Be what?" Henry asks, startling you. "Been looking all over for you."

"I'm almost done." You say quickly. "He's my last one—"

"Last one?"

"Henry, oh, my God, how are you?!"

You see a redhead with hazel eyes in equestrian gear come toward him and you step closer to Midnight.

"Hello!" Henry kisses her cheek as she kisses him back. "How've you been?"

"Fine, fine," the redhead says to Henry, then looks at you. "Would you mind saddling him for me?"

Henry chuckles softly, gently pulling you to his side and makes introductions. The redhead frowns and you keep eye contact with her. You see it in her eyes: she feels you have no business with him.

You hear your name called, jolting you from the memory. You rise, looking down at the outfit you threw together: a black skort, a burgundy cross over top and with black Breton hat and black slip-ons. You are definitely dress casual. You check your small satchel purse, and walk chin up toward the office.

As you near the door you see someone come out and your gasp softly and stop as you recognize Hannah. She freezes in her tracks and looks at you.

"Wow," Hannah hisses, her eyes narrowing at you. "And I thought you were vacationing."

"I found out about this and I thought I'd try, Hannah, it's a coincidence—"

"My ass," she snaps, and comes closer to you, realizing she might have been too loud. "Why am I suddenly not believing that was a look-alike you were on the motorcycle with?"

"Hannah—"

"So nobody has a chance, do they?" she asks calmly, her voice cold.

"I don't know what you're talking about," you say quickly.

"Right," she nods, and then smiles in a way you don't like. "Right."

She moves past you, and you are already not looking forward to going back to Palmer Lodge. You take a deep breath and step into the office for the interview. They seem friendly and you are relieved that they read your resume. You were qualified, but the real question was if they wanted you. You suddenly have mixed feelings about Henry putting in a good word for you. What kind of word was it? You want the job, but you want to be able to do the job, not be hired because a name dropped yours...or do you? Doesn't it work that way sometimes, people looking to hire good people and they hire you because someone they trust recommends you?