Part 71: At the Library

"Ladies?" I say as soon as I step into our dining area

She recognizes that voice instantly, and looks up. I smile brightly at her, and her eyes are alight. I told her I would try to join them for high tea. "Henry!"

"Darling," I purr and bend down to plant a kiss on her cheek. I move around and take the seat next to her. "Sophia, Chiru...this is overdue, I've heard so much about you two."

They giggle like schoolgirls and I watch her shake her head with amusement at their reaction.

"Where have you been?" Chiru asks.

"As you probably know, Witcher 2 is about to come out," I say with ease. "Work, work, work, work work." I flash a poster grin, and they look like they're about to swoon. Her friends are so easy.

"Yeah, we can't wait!" Sophia says excitedly.

"Your girl here won't tell us anything," Chiru says coyly.

"That's because I don't really know," she says, probably again by the look on her face. "I wasn't on set—"

"Well, not all the time, anyway," I put in.

"How was your first American Thanksgiving?" Chiru asks.

We both seem to hit the same hesitation to answer.

"It was interesting," She replies. "meeting my family and all." She chuckles, albeit a bit nervously.

"Her sister was really something," I say with a smile. "Very sarcastic and dry sense of humor." I kept my pleasant expression but inwardly tensed at the memory of my discussion with her:

"You've got to slow down, darling," I say smoothly as she scampers and hops around the kitchen.

"I just..this isn't well planned, Henry," She shakes her head at the mess on the kitchen table. "I—"

"We could have ordered an entire supper," I nod. "You didn't have to do this. We're kind of jetlagged, and I've never seen you so tired."

She sighs heavily. "I went and picked up her meds, too."

"What?" I frown. "Doesn't she have anything delivered?"

"I don't know, she asked me to do it, so—"

"You did," I finish grimly. I guard my expression and say, "I think I left something in the car. I'll check to make sure we didn't leave anything out there."

"Oh, okay."

I head downstairs and walk in on Shannon, who is watching the telly and hasn't done anything she said she would do for supper. "Shannon?"

"Oh, hey."

"Your sister is cooking most of it, and you haven't even started?"

Shannon stiffens and shrugs. "It'll get done."