Chapter 44: Briefing

You are wrenching your hands.

You made dinner-lemon pepper chicken with stir fry vegetables. You didn't want to do anything fancy. When he trains, weekdays are more about chicken and vegetables. Even spices can be a cheat, you use them lightly.

He comes home and you are sitting quietly doodling in your notebook.

"Hey."

You look up. "Hey." You rise to your feet and walk over to hug and kiss him.

"You've been worried all day, haven't you?" he asks with a tender smile.

"A little," you admit, and he raises his eyebrow. "Alright a little more than that."

You have dinner and you tell him about your helping Stella with her apartment over the phone. He tells you about voice work and training for upcoming scenes.

"Taking Kal out," he says. "come with me?"

You don your jacket and walk out with him. It's a nice night.

You look above the tree line in the distance as Henry throws a toy for Kal to retrieve

You look above the tree line in the distance as Henry throws a toy for Kal to retrieve. "Nice night."

"Yeah," he exhales. You look at his profile, thoughtful as he looks up, and then look at you. He frowns slightly. "Have you noticed you don't need your allergy meds?"

"Yeah," you chuckle. "Doc did say it's pollution and what not."

"Bet your lungs are clear now," he smiles broadly.

"Probably," you shrug.

"How," he pauses. "how are you doing with all the comments?"

You take a deep breath. "Nothing more than I expected-some positive, some negative, some mean, some kind, some analytical."

"Does it change how you think I feel?"

"No," you whisper, then ask more out of hope than confidence, "You?"

He smiles as the skies. "No." He turns to you and draws you into his arms. "What is happening now is nothing new, just new to you, like joining a constellation."

"Oh," you say sadly. "I'm not a star, Henry—"

"Yes, you are, always have been," he whispers, looking down at you. "It's just that you've blinked into sight, bright enough that more people see you, that's all."

"That sounds nice," you say, caught in his gaze. If you see me, then that's all that matters...

"So, let's see," He looks down at you, still in his arms. "You believe you've separated your accounts."

"I believe so," you whisper. "I even deleted things that might show a connection."

"That might not be true, you've had them for a long time," he says softly, shaking his head. "They may not dig that deep, though."