Chapter #19

Chapter #19
_____________
Sam’s POV
I wake up to the smell of french toast. At first I think it’s Scarlett but I feel her head on my chest so it must be Mom cooking. I gently move Scarlett off me so I don’t wake her and I head down stairs and as I get closer I can hear music and it’s not just any music it’s from my new album that got released last week. “Good morning Mom.” I say getting her attention. “Oh good morning dear. I thought I would make breakfast since you guys have been so good to me.” Mom says. “You didn’t have too but I won’t say no to your french toast.” I say grabbing one and taking a bite. “Get a plate. You know better than that. You may be 27 but you have manners.” Mom scolds. “Yes Mom.” I say grabbing a plate and fork to eat my waffle. “That’s better.” She says handing me a cup of coffee. “Thank you.” I tell her. “Good morning you two.” Scarlett says walking into the kitchen. “Morning Baby.” “Morning Scarlett” Ma and I say at the same time. “So um Ma Benji and I are recording a song today and Scarlett always watches from the soundbooth and I was wondering if maybe you would join us?” I ask nervously. “I would love that. Where are we going to record?” Mom asks. “Well actually there’s a studio downstairs that we use. Back from when Scarlett made music I’ve made some modifications but yeah we don’t have to leave the house.” I tell her. “Oh that’s cool can you show me?” Mom asks. “Of course follow me.” I tell her. “You know I loved ‘Pretend my Pain Away’ it’s beautiful.” Mom says. “I’m glad you liked it. It’s one that means a lot to me.” I tell her as we enter the studio. “This place is beautiful. Oh and look at that piano your father made me stop playing when we got married.” Mom says running her hands over it. “You used to play?” I ask. “Yeah I was pretty good to but I don’t think I am anymore.” She says. “Give it a try you never know.” I tell her. “Are you sure?” She asks. “More than sure I would love to hear you play even if it’s terrible.” I tell her making her chuckle. “Ok here we go.” She says before playing Vivaldi’s ‘Four Seasons’ perfectly. “Oh my god Mom that was amazing I definitely got my knack for music from you.” I tell her. “Thank you dear.” Mom says just as we hear the doorbell making Mom jump. “It’s ok Laura, it's just Benji.” Scarlett says and Mom’s body relaxes. I hate what my father did to her. I hate the fact that there’s nothing I can do about it. I can’t take away her pain or fear. “Who’s this lovely lady?” Benji flirts. “My Mom and she’s off limits.” I tell him and he puts his hands up in surrender. “So you ready to record the song, I know it’s emotional.” He asks. “Yeah I’m ready. Ladies if you will go into the soundbooth.” I usher Mom and Scarlett. “This is ‘I didn’t ask for this’.”

“Strike first make it hurt”
“When everyone assumes the worst”
“I never have to say I’m sorry”
“Spiteful”
“Ruinous”
“I’m all the things you feared I was”
“Another villian in your story”

“You think that I’m a spitfire you should”
“Afraid you’re on my bad side that’s good”
“If I wanted to end you I could, I could”

“I’m sinking down”
“If you only knew how hard it is for me to climb out”
“I’m kicks and screaming”
“But no one can hear me so what happens now”
“The shadows are creeping in”
“I didn’t ask for, I didn’t ask for this”

“Cold rage hides the shame”
“Of images I can’t escape”
“Scars that live under the surface”
“It’s strange what I became when part of me was ripped away”
“And replaced with something worthless”

“You think that I’m a spitfire you should”
“Afraid you’re on my bad side that’s good”
“If I wanted to end you I could, I could”

“I’m sinking down”
“If you only knew how hard it is for me to climb out”
“I’m kicks and screaming”
“But no one can hear me so what happens now”
“The shadows are creeping in”
“I didn’t ask for, I didn’t ask for this”

“Take what’s left of my fractured heart”
“Blood stained cause the pieces are so sharp”
“Take what’s left of my fractured heart”
“Blood stained cause the pieces are so sharp”

“I’m sinking down”
“If you only knew how hard it is for me to climb out”
“I’m kicks and screaming”
“But no one can hear me so what happens now”
“The shadows are creeping in”
“I didn’t ask for, I didn’t ask for this”

“Never forget I didn’t ask for this”

I finish the song with tears running down my face and I can see Scarlett comforting my Mom as she cries. I run into the sound booth and open the door. “Mom I’m sorry I didn’t mean to make you cry.” I tell her. “No, no it’s just so true you didn’t ask for any of it for any of what happened.” She tells me. “Mom, a lot of my songs are tear jerkers. I'll tell you that but I don’t write them just for me, I write them for anyone who might be feeling the same way.” I explain to her. “I know and you’ve touched so many people I just didn’t expect it to hit differently seeing you record it in person that’s all.” Mom says. “Are you going to be ok? Benji and I are working on some more songs today. We probably won’t be recording but I’ll be in here.” I tell her. “We’ll be ok right Scarlett?” Mom asks. “Yeah we’ll be ok, you do your thing.” Scarlett tells me as they leave the studio.

A/N
Well that was interesting. The song belongs to Beth Crowley. There might be another song in the next one. Anygays see you in the next one.