Chapter 7: Hazardous Housekeeping

Sleep wasn't easy, a lingering feeling of unease compressing my chest. I wonder why Val had been so cold to me, had I done something wrong? Val said he would be heading north tomorrow. This could mean Braiewood, Mercester, or even Asteria, for all I knew. I could have asked, but I never wanted to pry into Val's business much. I wouldn't even know how long he would be gone. It seems I never know exactly when I'll see him next.

I continue to struggle with sleep throughout the night, even despite my sore, exhausted body. A wave of pain jolts through my legs as I shift on the bed, and a weight now pressed over me. No matter how tired I was, I couldn't sleep. No matter how far I'd walked, no matter how sore my body ached, something still refused my body rest.

I decide to change into more comfortable clothes, a now laborious task only for an attempt at rest. I pick out a basic black slip I'd found in my wardrobe, tossing it on the bed as I stripped off my dirt-smeared and sweat-stained clothes. The moment my garments fall to the floor I am hit with an intense stench. This was, undoubtedly, me. The thought of Val being able to smell my odor crosses my mind, with this being a strong contender for his cold demeanor toward me recently.

Perhaps a hot bath could prove to be a good solution, as it would ease my muscle pain and provide me with some relief from my insomnia as well as my obvious stench. I reach for the slip I'd left on my bed, hesitating for a moment. I shouldn't need to wash it if I only wear it for a moment out to the bathhouse. I shrug, finally grabbing it. I slip it on and put my dirty clothes into a pile off to the side of my wardrobe.

I take a pair of shoes, holding them by the back of the heels, not putting them on just yet. Peaking outside my door, I check for any chance of patrons still out in the dead of night. Unsurprisingly, it seems that everyone has retired for tonight. I spot Kyzu still lying in front of the bar, even in the dim lighting.

I shut my door behind me after heading out, walking toward Kyzu who had been sleeping across the room in front of my door. Only a couple of lamps still remained lit, each of them close to going out. Practically a premonition, a gust of wind through an open shutter manages to extinguish the flame. I let out a sigh that only managed to carry a fraction of my frustration and disappointment.

I continue my steps with a newfound sense of caution. Kyzu lies only a few steps away from the door, with her bulky body lying between the exit and the bar. I'd need to pace my steps carefully, heading slightly left and forward enough to avoid tripping over Kyzu. I keep a steady pace while attempting to watch my footing in a room almost completely permeated by darkness. I'm fairly sure I'd walked fully past her since I no longer felt any fur grazing my feet as I felt around the floor. I take another step; in the clear. A breath I hadn't realized I'd been holding rolls out of my mouth.

I go for another step, this time apparently far too fast, since whatever I'd hit sent a rush of pain down my foot. A grating sound fills the air, almost resembling that of metal being scraped. I trip, falling to the floor, and my shoes as well as something else scatter across the dark flooring.

I get up, ignoring the pain shooting through my arm from my landing to grab a white strip of parchment barely visible on the countertop. I light it from the dwindling flame in the lamp, holding it toward the floor. As the fire continues to envelop the makeshift kindling, the flame and light grow brighter. I see Kyzu still, but nothing that could have been the cause of my pain.

This was until something across the floor had caught a reflection of some of the light in my hand. I head over to it, picking the object up. A large, black, shiny mass bent and limply shifted in my hands. I soon recognized it as one of Val's gloves.

Utter confusion hits me, lingering as I search around for anything else to go off of. Tucked away in the booth just outside my room was an area of darkness that still resided. I come over, deciding to relight the lamps and sconces lining the walls along the path on the way. I shake away the flame, now nearly down to my fingers. As more light grew in the room, I soon recognized this lingering darkness as Val. He had been asleep at a booth, his head tucked in his arms on the table.