Chapter 5: Braiewood Break-in

I once again awake at sunrise. I take a deep breath and stretch, creating a cacophony of pops from my joints. A strange groan manages to escape my mouth. It seems I hadn't realized how groggy I'd felt until I'd involuntarily expressed it. Walking over to my wardrobe, I strip off my nightclothes and pick out my now fresh, clean tavern uniform. A knock at the door startles me, and I stay silent for a moment, confused as to who it could be.

I panic, quietly jumping back into bed in an attempt to cover myself. A creak from the door tells that they've let themself in, and I see Hidorah shuffle into my room. He's lightly kicked the door open due to his hands being full. He makes his way over, sets a metal tray on my lap without saying anything, and awkwardly leaves the room.

I stare down at the gleaming silver platter beneath me. A small wooden bowl filled with various berries draws my attention. On a plate toward the center of the platter sat several stacked thin cakes along with a small cup containing thick, purple syrup. An iced drink with a dark to light brown gradient-filled glass on the corner of the platter.

Before picking at anything, I want to change into my tavern uniform. I grab it from beneath my sheets, where it had been haphazardly thrown under in my rush under the covers. It was now a tangled bundle of cloth, though it hardly mattered to me if my work uniform was wrinkled. I throw it on, finding that after adjustments, the creases were barely noticeable.

I tuck a lock of hair behind my ear. My fingertips graze my face, feeling a thin layer of sweat and oil that my skin had produced at some point throughout the night. I wipe my fingers off with a rag already in my uniform pocket, deciding that I might as well get fully ready for the day before I eat.

I slip on a fresh pair of socks as well as my shoes. I sit down on my bed and fetch my hairbrush from my nightstand drawer. I brush through my hair until I'm satisfied with how it looks and if it's clear of most knots.

Fetching the clean cloth from my pocket once more, I retrieve the round, deep blue-tinted bottle off my nightstand by the neck. With a bit of strength, I manage to uncork it. Setting the nearly palm-sized cork down, I pour just enough water to get the rag damp. I wipe down my face, feeling refreshed afterward.

I set the tray down on my nightstand and sit back on my covers. I sip at the drink, finding that it's an iced tea. I poke a couple of berries into my mouth; one incredibly sweet, round, and blue that I recognized as a bush berry that grew in Asteria. The other was larger, irregularly shaped, vibrant pink, and much more taunt when bitten into. I hadn't recognized this by looks or taste but found it had held a very smooth but dull, sweet flavor.

I cut into the stack of cakes with my fork and dip them into the cup of syrup. Soft and creamy, the cakes melt in my mouth with the sweet syrup. After finishing the cakes and picking at the berries, I notice a small folded bit of paper beneath the wooden bowl.

I unfold it, revealing a beautifully calligraphed note from Hidorah stating a formal yet short apology for his behavior last night. "I'm sorry for my behavior last night, it was foolish of me to base dangerous actions on mere assumption. I'm accustomed to elves being naturally capable of low-level magic in requisite situations, I apologize for pressing this same standard onto you from rumor alone." It also states that he's taken notice of my disinterest in meat and has made breakfast without it. This note was more formal than I'd thought Hidorah was originally capable of but was certainly appreciated.

After setting the tray down beside me I finally get dressed into my tavern uniform and step out into the main hall. I'm greeted by Kenrik, but he glances down and shoots a concerned look in my direction. "Elaine, it's your day off today. You don't need to be in your work uniform."

My brows furrow and he passes me a calendar with small bullet points with names in every square. I stare at it blankly, trying to find where my name began being listed, as I couldn't recall the date. After a moment he points a wrinkled finger at a day toward the end of the month. The few days prior had my name bulleted on it, but in today's box, both mine and Hidorah's were gone. This means that Hidorah must have visited the tavern just to apologize and make me breakfast. I make a mental note of my upcoming free days and thank Kenrik.