Chapter 3: Uniform & Lukewarm

I begin work at sunrise, as usual. I take a moment to throw on my tavern uniform and tie my hair back. I step out of my room, anticipating Marietta's arrival at the tavern but find that she is late even after completing various morning chores. At first, there was a shameful attempt to stall, only doing busy work until having help with the more substantial tasks I was not yet accustomed to doing. I continue waiting, wiping down tables and clearing cobwebs faster to compensate for her absence.

Upon hearing the tavern doors creak open behind me and being bathed in sunlight for a moment, I step down from my stool and set my duster down to see not Marietta, but Hidorah. I'm not sure why, whether he managed to read the disappointment peaking through my face or had been told to relay the information, but he says to me, "It's Marietta's day off you know."

I look at him, slightly taken aback, "Oh, so you're a pickpocket and a mind reader? Anything else I should know about you?"

He laughs, "It's written all over you; you've got too much on your plate. When was the last time you washed your uniform?" He grabs at my shoulder strap, pulling me closer to examine the grime that had accumulated on my apron.

My face flushes as I glance down at the various mud splotches and stains on my garments.

"Tell you what, I'll grab Marietta on my lunch break and have her help you wash your clothes." Hidorah continues, scratching the stubble on his chin, "I might even help with your work if I'm not too busy with orders."

I stutter out a "Th-thanks," and resume cleaning up, escaping becoming entangled in another belittling conversation with Hidorah. I take a set of orders and maintain small talk with a few men at a table, one of which was drunk despite it being so early in the day. With such a large portion of my position depending on my ability to be charismatic, I felt that it was both a skill that needed honing but at the same time did not deserve further compensation alone. The idea of getting paid more to be amiable while still doing the same amount of catering was strange to me.

After their breakfast wraps up and I take their dishes, all but the drunk man stand. There is an attempt to coax him to leave, but this fails as he is in the corner of my eye, flagging me down with his empty glass. I avert my eyes, entertaining an imaginary task on the other side of the main hall. This works as well as it could have, as the group of men pick up their friend by the arms, dragging him out of the building after a moment. I wipe down their table and am soon called to the bar by Kenrik.

He explains to me that the men's area of the bathhouse will need cleaning before much use mid-day. Apparently, Marietta had cleaned the women's area last night but couldn't finish the second half of the bathhouse in time, leaving me the job. I glance behind me, knowing that more people may show up for breakfast or lunch later, so I ask Kenrik, "But who will take orders and deliver food?" He says I have nothing to worry about and pulls out a small engraved wood sign on a stand.

"Please order at the counter," It reads. "It'll work for a while before we get too busy for lunch," Kenrik explains, then passes me a small wooden box with a handle.

I take it, and he gestures me away with a smile. I step out of the tavern, feeling the sun bathe my face in warmth and light. I linger in this bliss for only a moment, not allowing myself to become dissuaded from work.

Not wanting to take up too much of the day, I head to the bathhouse. This time I enter from the farther side of the building. I stare up at the large, solid white door. Its handle turns downwards in my palm with slight exertion, giving the door a light shove, but no movement comes from these efforts. I brace my shoulder against the door; with some strength, I get the door open. It closes with a faint thud behind me.

Small puddles of water pooled on the white tiled floor, primarily just outside each stall. I set my small container on a shelf near the doorway, opening it to reveal a box of cleaning supplies. From it I take a rag and a long ribbon, pulling up my dress and tying it short. I begin drying and cleaning the floors, opening every curtain, and detail cleaning each stall. I continue scrubbing away, ensuring the cleanliness and safety of the bathhouse.