Chapter 3

𝓣𝓗𝓔 water was deep and scary and I fought to make my way upwards. When my tiny head broke the surface, I let out a series of cries, hoping that someone would come and save me. I looked around wildly, trying to see how far it was to the edge.

The thing that had transported me here was long gone. He wasn't going to save me. Not that I had expected he would.

I kitty paddled for a long, long time towards the edge. People were starting to appear, some of them running along the path around the lake.

Idiots. They might fall in too! Humans weren't as sure footed as cats were.

I finally reached the edge, but looked up in dismay. It was a good foot above the water, and I had nothing to jump on.

I shivered, my sopping fur soaked with coldness. I was freezing and I was scared. I just needed some body warmth and good pets. Some chicken would be nice too.

"Help! Help! Help! Help!" I mewed over and over, paddling around. I was tired and hungry and cold.

"Hey Buck, did you hear that?" A curious, warm voice asked.

"HELP ME YOU DUMBASS! CAN'T YOU HEAR ME?" I mewed loudly.

"Yeah, it sounds like a cat." A second voice said. This voice was very warm as well and I wanted them to find me.

"But where is it?" The first voice asked.

I could hear footsteps and I continued to meow, even as I continued to feel even more tired. I couldn't give up now. Not so close to being saved. Not when I had to find Billy and Tommy and save them. What if their father tried to kill them too?

Suddenly, feet appeared at the edge of the wall and I looked up, trying to stay afloat.

"Aww, the poor kitty." The second voice said, and a large hand dipped down, pulling me out of the water.

"Gosh she's so little," The first voice said in a marveling voice. He was a blond man with blue eyes and a kind face.

"She must just be a kit." The second said. He was also kind looking, but also a little scary. He had long brown hair, brown eyes, and a metal arm. Luckily, he was holding me with the flesh hand, which was very warm and I curled up into a ball, trying to get as much warmth from it as possible.

"Here," The second man said. "You can hold her in both of your hands so she can get warm. We should take her straight to the tower and warm her up."

The first man took me into his large hands. They were huge, like the rest of his body, and very warm. He cupped me between them and they took off back the way they had come.

"Where are you guys going now?" A dark skinned man said, stopping on his run. "Don't tell me you're done already!"

"No, sorry we've got to cut the run short Sam." The first man said. "We found this kitten in the water and she's freezing. We're hoping maybe Tony will have something to warm her up, or something, I don't know."

"Oh well she is adorable." Sam said, "I'll head back with you guys."

The three men were very quick in bringing me to a very large tower that was very warm when they stepped inside.

I was very content where I was, in the man's hands. They felt very safe and loving and if it weren't for the fact that I needed to find Billy and Tommy, I wouldn't have minded settling down with him.

"Bucky? Steve? Sam? What are you guys doing back early?" A red headed woman asked, sipping on a cup of what smelled like coffee.

Since dark skin was Sam, and dark haired was Bucky, I assumed light haired was Steve.