33 | putting the camp in camping

"Are you drinking enough water?"

"Sometimes my tears get in my mouth."

Currently, in a quiet room, darkened by curtains that hadn't been opened for at least 5 days, Alison was checking up on Violet and trying to get some sense out of her.

"Are you eating enough?" Alison rested a hand on Violet's knee.

"Not hungry," Violet muttered into her legs as she sat curled up with her legs tucked into herself.

There was a moment of silence as Alison thought about what to say next.

"Do you need anything?"

"I don't know what I need anymore Alison, I'm just, I'm just feeling really confused, I think, I'm not sure..."

"Do you want a hug?"

"That would be nice."

If you were in the room with the two girls you would have heard the slight ruffling of the duvets on the bed.

"Do you want me to stop asking questions?"

"That would also be nice."

~~~~~

Alison had managed to get Violet down to the table for breakfast, where everyone was sat and shocked by her appearance there.

"We've got to think of a new way to get you happy again."

"Julian!" Alison scolds him, quickly glancing across to Violet to see how she took it but she didn't let her expression give it away.

"What? I'm sorry I can't deal with all the moping anymore," he rolled his eyes.

"Julian mate you're taking it a step too far," Pat stepped in, not wanting a fight to break out.

Mike was just sat blissfully eating his shreddies, unaware of the ghosts' bickering.

"What do you suggest then? Oh so wise man across the table from me," Violet spoke up, surprisingly her voice wasn't too croaky after going days without use.

"Well, I don't know, whenever I was upset, which was not a lot mind you, I'd simply take a trip to the Bahamas and I'd be right as rain, it's as easy as that."

Crickets.

"And how do you think that's gonna work with all of us?"

"Ah yes..."

"Perhaps quality time with all would be good for the soul, we used to perform these training exercises in which-" the Captain enthusiastically began.

"Not quite sure your military scheme would brighten one's day," Fanny rolled her eyes at the man.

"Guys, I've got the perfect idea, Alison, you still have those tents right?" Pat's eye sparkled with excitement.

Oh gosh... camping.

~~~~~

Everyone was stood hanging around outside, some of the ghosts clearly not wanting to be roped into the little excursion. But others were more positive about the idea.

"We used to little trips like this a lot, manoeuvres and so on. You know, fresh air, camaraderie, horseplay in the lake..." the Captain trailed off, clearly caught up in his memories.

Violet couldn't help but let out a little snort at what he said, and Robin, who was stood next to her, had the same reaction.

"He not just like bum, he like ass."