11 | bump in the night

"Bloody hell, these are well heavy," Violet huffed as she helped to bring in the boxes of wedding decorations, crockery and cutlery.

"Yeah well, that just means they're good quality. None of that cheap stuff." Alison pitched in happily as she entered in the kitchen with another box.

"I had no idea so much went into a wedding," Mike said as he stood up straight, a look of disbelief painting his face.

"Speaking as your wife, that was clear." Alison teased him, but Violet could hear a little bit of truth in her voice.

"Haha, take that Mike."

"Hmm," Mike was feeling contemplative.

"Five boxes, six, seven, eight... In here. And ten in the lobby! Excellent!" The Captain was kindly taking inventory for them, even though a man from the suppliers was already doing so. Violet was confused at why the Captain was using Humphrey's body's hands to count the boxes, after all, he wasn't the one suffering from having an unattached body part. She'd have to question him about that later, but for now, she just rose an eyebrow at him.

"Right. Lift from the knees! Trust me, you don't want a hernia."

The Captain was guiding Alison in how to lift a box, as if she hadn't already done that multiple times already in the past hour. Or as if she had never done it in her life. Oh well, his heart was in the right place.

"Head!" Alison screamed in shock.

Oh no.

"What?" Mike asked confused.

"-chog," Alison added on. Nice save.

"Hedgehog, sorry. I thought I saw a hedgehog."

"I think I saw it too," Violet supported Alison in her cover-up answer, when both of them knew it was Humphrey's head.

But all was fine when everyone awkwardly concluded there was no hedgehog. Only one person was still under the impression there has actually been one though, and he was the reason behind the fake discovery.

"Chase it out with a broom. They'll leave fleas in the rug!"

"Oh no, no, no! I know you're on a budget but where are the oyster forks?" Fanny was horrified. Violet looked at the contents of the boxes and frowned, it all looked quite fancy to her.

"I remember you telling me about those Fanny!" It was another thing that had been covered in Lady Button's etiquette classes. Violet was also trying to steer the conversation in a different direction but it looked like Alison just wanted to be more blunt in the moment.

"They're not having oysters."

"What?!" Violet muffled her giggles at the look on Fanny's face, she pulled the most amazing facial expressions to show her shock horror and disgust in multiple situations.

"How much? To hire knives and forks?" it seemed like the feelings of shock and surprise were contagious, Mike was stood next to Fanny.

"It's wedding silver, Mike. It's got to be top quality." Alison carried a box into the next room.

"Don't try to bend them!" Alison must have eyes in the back of her head.

"Well, she's got you there." Violet laughed at Mike gripping onto a spoon.

"I don't know how she does it," Mike replies.

"Anyways, I'm going to head outside and finish doing up the garden. Just final touches like doing some planting and trimming as well." Violet had volunteered to do the task, she still felt bad for leaving the couple to do it themselves when she had left after her argument with the Captain.