28 | my funny valentine

"Love is in the air,
Love is in the air-"

Love songs were blaring loud from Mike's speaker downstairs as he cooked Alison breakfast.

Emphasis on were.

Violet had awoken to the music after a bad night's sleep, running on 3 hours of tossing and turning. Yet she still had enough energy to march downstairs and shut off the music.

"Hey what was that for?" Mike turned round accusingly, flour painting his nose as he frowned at Violet.

"Mike, it's half 8 in the morning," Violet rubbed her eyes.

"Yeah, well, I'm making a surprise breakfast in bed for Alison," Mike pointedly said as he returned to frying the sausages.

"Not gonna be much of a surprise with this racket," Violet murmured as she slumped over at the table. Did she have to stay there? No. But the smell was enough to warrant a reason why.

"Well it won't be if she can hear all the pots and pans clattering about," Mike retorted, turning the music back in and wiggling as he did so.

Violet groaned as she covered her ears.
"What's the real surprise then? The amount of garlic you're putting in the pan or the fact that this kitchen looks like a bombs gone off?"

"It's a Valentine's day breakfast," Mike happily said.

Ah, that explained the heart prints on the apron.

"Kill. Me. Now."

Violer was never one for love. Yes, she was only 19, but she didn't fully believe in it. She was sure she'd find someone one day once that barrier is broken down, but for now, she would live to roll her eyes and mutter under her breath at all the cute coupley things. Especially the ones she'd see today.

"That can be arranged."

"Ah!" Violet screamed, turning around to see Thomas over her shoulder.

"Ah!" Mike screamed back not knowing what was going on.

"Ghost thing," she quickly explained.

He continued cooking.

"What is wrong with you Thomas?"

"What is wrong with me? Well, I will have you know there is nothing wrong with being in love, feeling romantic," Thomas recited.

"I thought we've been through this before, Alison is not gonna fall for you," Violet rolled her eyes.

"Is Thomas here?" Mike looked up at the ceiling, "Stop trying to steal my wife!"

"I'm living in a house full of loons," Violet fake cried.

Thomas flinched back and watched bemusedly as Mike swatted at the air with a spatula.

"What Mike be doing?" Mary entered the room, watching Mike act crazily.

"He's being... romantic?" Violet tried to justify the man's actions.

"I'm fighting for the love of my life, how much more romantic can I get?" Mike paused and turned to the girl as if what he was doing was obvious.

"Fighting for love? How poetic, I feel... I feel so inspired!" Thomas dashed off after hearing Mike's words.

"Thomas seems to be in a hurry," Alison yawned as she entered the kitchen.

"You cannot stop a writer from his passion," Violet mocked Thomas' voice.

Alison laughed and then pulled a face.
"Is that... burning?"