3 | gooseberries and plague pits

If only Violet wasn't lost in her own world then she would have heard the car pulling up, and the footsteps up the stairs, and the cacophony of voices that certainly increased in volume once they saw her.

"Who are you?!?" Violet turned around and was faced with a woman leading the others. She had short brown hair and was wearing a yellow raincoat.

"Woah you're like Coraline," she said, the brightly coloured piece of clothing instantly reminding her of one of her favourite childhood films.

"All you've got to do is dye your hair blue," she chuckled to herself, eyes awkwardly scanning across the other ghosts whilst she clasps her hands behind her back. But as she did, she accidentally made eye contact with a short man that had an arrow driven through his neck.

"Oh my goodness..." Pat muttered. Alison pretended not to hear him but she couldn't help but be intrigued at what had suddenly shocked him.

"You need to tell me who you are!" Alison said, trying to keep up a confident front. She was actually quite nervous and trying not to stumble over her words. She just hoped Mike would appear soon but he usually takes long baths.

"Alison she can see us too. She just looked at me." Pat said, and in that moment Violet's eyes trailed over the ghosts behind her and Alison knew, she just knew she had found someone like herself.

"Wait, you can see ghosts too?" Alison said surprised but also a little hopeful, although she had Mike and all of the ghosts of Button House, if there someone who could also see ghosts she would feel so much less alone.

"Yes, I can. And now that you know please tell your caveman friend to get some manners." Violet nervously spilled out, eyes accusingly looking towards him.

"Wait, why-" Alison had no idea where this conversation was going but she had a feeling it would soon turn into a tennis match if she didn't take control of it soon.

"He called me a mammoth!" Violet revealed, feeling offended even though she knew she shouldn't really. It didn't help that the Edwardian and Georgian era looking ladies gasped in horror.

"No not good enough to be mammoth"

"Hey-"

"Right enough of that. Are you going to tell me why you're here, because you're in my house."

Violet looked around the room at the ghosts who were staring at her. The caveman was stood alongside someone with no trousers on (for some odd reason she was sure she knew who he was). To the right side of the small space there was a lady with soot covering her face.

'Bless her, wrongly accused' she thought, she had met someone else who had been burnt at the stake before and was saddened to see another.

In front of her was a younger guy with wavy brown hair, staring her down with beady eyes. It could have been intimidating if it wasn't for the puffy sleeves on his shirt. The scouts leader who revealed her secret was in front of him. She couldn't get over the arrow lodged in his throat.

'Yikes'

Standing right beside Alison was an older lady with not a hair out of place, pulling the most snobbiest look she had ever seen whilst also looking like her temper was about to explode. There was also a young girl in a gorgeous burgundy dress presenting an awkward smile on her face, although Violet could tell she was trying to seem intimidating with furrowed brows and arms folded over. They were the ones who gasped at the insult/assumption Robin had given her this morning.

"Ah, well, it's a funny story really..." Violet trailed off and then looked down at her feet because all of the eyes staring at her was beginning to become all a bit too much.
"Well maybe not a funny story but-"