6 | trauma buddies

"You good for nothing-! Out of this house now, I can't bare to be around you anymore!"

"But... Mum I-"

"Go live with your grandad, I'm sure he'll take pity on you like always,"

"Mum why are you doing this?!"

Heavy gasps echoed around the room, Violet desperately trying to catch her breath as her hands ran through her now damp hair. It was the most vivid nightmare she had had since residing at Button House, and so she didn't know what to do with herself. Surely if she was quiet enough no one would notice or hear her go downstairs...

With shaky hands, Violet quickly reached over to her phone to check the time.

03:14am

Shit. It's not as if she could start her day early, no one else would be awake yet. Violet stands up on trembling legs rubbing her eyes.

'Come on get yourself together,' she tells herself in her head.

She quietly ventures downstairs, wincing each time the wood creaks, this is exactly what she didn't want. She just needs to make it to the kitchen, she's sure she remembers there being a tub of hot chocolate powder in one of the cupboards. At this point she was determined to find it, couldn't go wrong with a nice mug of hot chocolate, and she was hoping the warming drink would calm her down.

What she wasn't expecting when she tiptoed into the kitchen, teeth clenched in anticipation, was to see Mary sat there.

"Mary? What are you doing down here? I thought you'd be asleep?"

"Oh hello Violet. I justs thinking is all," Mary replied simply, scanning Violet's face to try and come to a conclusion why she is downstairs too.

"Thinking about..." Violet prompted Mary to elaborate on her response, taking a seat opposite the ghost at the table.

"Just been one of those days. So why do you be down as well?"

"Just a little night terror, Mary. Nothing too bad really." Violet replied quietly, twiddling her thumbs, as if the whole house could hear her in that moment.

"Ah you need a remedy!" Mary quickly thought, eager to be able to help someone out.

"It's alright thanks, Mary. Maybe another time. I'm just going to make a hot chocolate and then I'll be off."

~~~~~

"Time of death, 01:47."

"No! Nanny!"

It was 01:48 am.

The same shakiness, the same pit in the bottom of her stomach. The tears, the clenched teeth.

Violet was off downstairs, quiet like a mouse.

"Same thing again, Mary?"

"Yes," Mary started tentatively, keeping her answer short at first, "I keeps thinkings of my death. But it's all a bit too," she explains, then makes a weird noise at the end because she couldn't find the words to explain.

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that Mary," the young girl said sympathetically.

"Yes, well... do you feels the same again?"

"Yeah, I do Mary. I can tell you a story if you like? Might take both our minds off of what they're so fixated on?"

"Oooooooo I loves a story, yes go on," Mary says with a small smile.