2 | prepared for duty

"You-you, well I don't believe it!" the Captain spluttered, losing his composure at the fact another living person was able to see him. He believed Alison to have been the only one with this ability.

"Well, frankly mate I don't know how I could be faking this unless I'm a part of your imagination. Which, I'm not so..." Violet replied with a quirked brow, she would have expected this war captain to be much more stern and not fumbling on his words like he currently was.

Captain shakes his head in disbelief but soon regains his composure.
"Yes yes, well, then I demand you to leave the grounds immediately, or I will have you shot!" he threatens.

"I don't really see how that could happen. You are a ghost, so, you might be struggling with that one for a while," she taunts him, eager to hear his next response. It had been a while since she's been able to carry a conversation with a ghost, normally she doesn't like to reveal that she can see them. Sometimes, you just have to give in to your intrusive thoughts which say, 'poke the bear!'.

"You would not make a good soldier at all, disobeying the commands of your senior!" the Captain frowned, appalled at the lack of respect he was being presented with.

"Yeah I suppose you are senior, I'm pretty sure I can see a few grey hairs even from over here. Now if you are done with your tantrum, I need to ask you something." Violet negotiated after teasing the Captain a little more. She knew it was a risky tactic playing fire with fire but she was sure she could at least get some information out of him.

The Captain scoffed
"Well if you think you will be able to retrieve any confidential information from me then you have another thing coming."

"I was only going to ask if anybody alive lives here?" Violet asked patiently.

"Why, worried you're going to get caught out?" he questioned, tensions still high from his end.

"Yes," she answered honestly.

He wasn't expecting the blunt answer.

"Well, err-"

"I need somewhere to stay, even if it is temporary, and I don't think the outside will treat me as well, especially at night when it will get cold," she, once again, answered honestly.

"Well, I'm sorry but you simply have to find somewhere else, there is not enough room for another person to live here." Captain started speaking, but as he went on he realised he might have let too much information slip.

"Because there are other ghosts h-" he tried to cover up but it was too late.

"So there are other people living here! Where are they right now? When will they get back?" she eagerly questioned.

The Captain's silence was broken by the sound of a car pulling up to the driveway.

"Oh dear, they can't be back already. Can't wait to hear the sound of banging and drilling again," he muttered under his breath, but not quietly enough.

"So you don't like the people that live here? Haven't you got any ghosty friends?" Violet wondered out loud, wiggling her hands.

"Well, we're on a break from each other right now."

"So what you're saying is I'm the only person you've got right now?"

"Not quite... Well I think you might be right now yes," the Captain sadly admitted, he didn't expect his friends to turn against him and all announce their dislike for him at once.

"I could help you, y'know? We could find a way to get rid of the people that live here. Wouldn't that help the both of us?"

"But then you would still be here."