Chapter Twenty-Two: The Sun Heiress

Panicked whispers ripple through the crowd of people as Viserion and I stand side by side in the throne room of the Sun Palace. The Sun Court nobles and other small courts watch the two of us expectantly, and I can't help but stare back.
    "I didn't know there were so many Fae in these courts," I whisper to Viserion. The room has been divided into five sections. The Sun Court at the front, and the four smaller courts spread out in the corners of the room.
    "The smaller courts are much larger than the High Courts," Viserion explains, "however, they do not possess the magic that the High Fae have. Also," He gestures at the four courts, "each court is more like a tribe."
    "A wha–" I begin to say, but suddenly the double doors of the throne room slam open. The room goes silent and all heads snap to the door.
    "Is that..?" I whisper. Viserion nods slowly, keeping his cool expression as the Sun Court's new heir walks into the room. So this is Aeron's sister. I see the family resemblance. A tall, lean woman walks forward, her long red hair falling in perfect ringlets down her back. Her clothing, unlike the bright gold of the Sun Court, is blue. Fur covers the inside of her hood and sleeves. All eyes follow her as she walks to the front and Viserion offers a slight bow. I do the same.
    "It's an honor, Princess Guinevere," Viserion says formally. The woman glances between me and him, and I notice she holds a very different air than her brother did.
    "Don't bother with the formalities, Night Prince," She sighs, "we have much more pressing matters at hand." My eyes widen in pleasant surprise while Viserion nods.
    "Indeed," He agrees as Guinevere turns to the Fae courts, her hands clasped within her long fur-covered sleeves.
    "Some of you know me as nothing more than your former Prince's sister." Guinevere says boldly, her voice echoing through the room, "But I am here to prove myself as a ruler to you. I promise to serve you all to the best of my abilities and to abide by the laws of Fae. I will do what my brother did not, and restore the Sun Court to its former glory." I glance up at Viserion, a look of relief on his face.
    "You will no longer be called nobles, as my brother labeled you." Guinevere continues, "Rather, we will return to our former ways and be known as Children of the Sun. All of us," Her eyes flick to me, "are equal." Children of the Sun? Loud applause fills the room as Guinevere bows. I can't help but be impressed as Guinevere holds her head high, looking down on her subjects in a way that I had never seen Aeron or the other Sun Court Lords do before.
    "Now that that's over," Guinevere mutters as she turns to Viserion and I, "come with me."

    As Viserion and I follow Guinevere through the halls of the Sun Palace, I can't help but notice how out of place she looks. Guinevere's eyes are a dark, bottomless blue, while her red hair is the only similarity she holds to her brother, which I'm slightly grateful for.
    "I wanted a moment of privacy to discuss something with you." Guinevere says as we stop before a large golden door.
    "I hope you mean the attack on the mountain," I say as she opens the door. Guinevere glances over her shoulder and nods. She guides Viserion and me into a circular room with a ceiling adorned with shimmering gold constellations. A large, crystal table already seats four Fae, and Guinevere gestures to the two open chairs.
    "Have a seat," She says. Viserion steps forward and pulls the chair out for me, and I sit down beside him. My eyes widen in surprise as I look around the table at the gathered Fae. Aside from me and Guinevere, only two other Fae are female.
    "These are the Fae leaders of the four lower Fae courts," Viserion whispers, motioning slightly around the table.
    "What about him?" I ask, nodding to where a tall male Fae with sandy hair stands with his arms crossed behind one of the Fae rulers. Viseron eyes the Fae for a moment and simply shrugs.
    "Hello, all." Guinevere sighs, standing at the head of the table, "I'm pleased you accepted my invitation." A little murmur of acknowledgment goes around the table as the Fae leaders nod.
    "I had hoped to begin my reign on a much lighter note than this." Guinevere continues, "Aside from my mockery my little brother made of the Sun Court, I had hoped that would be the only problem I would have to fix." I watch Guinevere intently as she looks around the table, silently reading the energy of the room.
    "I suppose nothing in the world of Fae is ever that simple." A Fae with long blonde hair says. Unlike other Fae, this woman's pointed ears are covered with piercings, her eyes painted a deep red.
    "Andromeda," Viserion whispers, "Speaker of the Folk of the Wind." I try to think if I know anything about those people, but nothing comes to mind.
    "I thought we were here to discuss the attack on our carriages and the threat that was made?" A Fae man demands. This man looks older compared to the rest of us, with hair a deeper silver than mine and features that look more worn. Guinevere takes a breath and nods.
    "I spoke with several Sun Court members before my formal introduction today, along with multiple guards, and yet," She places her hands on the table, leaning forward, "no one seems to know who issued the attack. I find it very hard to believe out of the hundreds of Fae gathered here today, not one saw the culprit." Silence falls over the table.
    "Viserion, Alora." Guinevere says, looking at us, "Your carriage was one of the ones destroyed, was it not?" Viserion nods.
    "Yes," I say, "we were lucky to get out before the boulder struck." Guinevere nods, her features relaxing.
    "I don't suppose any of you have an alibi like theirs?" She demands, crossing her arms.
    "We had not yet reached the top of the mountain, Sun Princess." Another Fae says.
    "How convenient, Erkin." Guinevere scoffs.
    "It's true, Princess." The statement comes not from Erkin, but from the younger Fae behind him.
    "We had not yet reached the trail." Guinevere stares at the Fae for a moment.
    "And who are you?" She asks. The man steps forward, bowing slightly.
    "Cassiel. Friend and advisor to the leader of the Woodland Court."
    "And a mighty fine warrior, too, I might add." Erkin laughs, clapping Cassiel on the back.
    "Warrior?" Guinevere repeats, "I don't seem to remember any of the courts being at war since millennia." I glance at Cassiel, expecting a look of offense on his face, but am pleasantly surprised when that's not the case.
    "It's good to be prepared." He says instead, crossing his arms in a similar manner to how Guinevere did. Guinevere blinks but shows no other emotion.

    "Anyways," Andromeda sighs, "I suppose sending out your guards to investigate the mountain should be our next move." Guinevere nods.
    "What do you expect them to find?" Viserion asks, "The culprit? We should focus on the warning. Something powerful had to have carved that message." Across the table, I see Cassiel nod.
    "I agree, Night Prince." Rhydian says, "Whoever the culprit of the attack was is long gone by now. We must find out what this 'Eclipse' is." A collective nod goes around the table.
    "It's decided then." Guinevere says, "I shall send out a party tomorrow to look into it."

    Viserion and I are the last to leave the room, leaving Guinevere to discuss things with the Sun Palace guards.
    "You didn't tell me who he is," I say, pointing up ahead of us where Rhydian walks down the hall, his silver clothing shimmering under the light from the palace windows.
    "Ah, The leader of the Storm Folk." Viserion nods, "A strong people. Magnificent fighters, but," He raises a finger, "very quick to anger."
"And what about her?" I ask. The only other woman among us with long white hair and icy blue skin turns a corner, disappearing out of sight.
"Isolde, I believe." Viserion replies, "She was only named ruler of the Court of the North a day ago, taking Guinevere's place."
"Guinevere was the ruler of the Court of the North?" I ask. That explains the clothing. Viserion nods, an amused smile on his face as he watches me make the connection.
"She's everything Aeron was not." He says, "Which is why I asked for her to take the throne." The rest of the walk down the hallway is in silence as I watch the leaders of the courts talk amongst themselves. They all seem to have a better relationship than the Sun and Moon Courts ever have.
"Your Majesty," Viserion pauses, placing a hand on my arm, snapping me out of my thoughts.
"Cassiel." Viserion nods in acknowledgment.
"Lady Alora." Cassiel bows slightly before me. Lady? I glance up at Viserion in confusion.
"What did you expect them to call you, now that you rule by my side?" Viserion asks. I have no answer. I hadn't even thought about it.
"I had hoped for the chance to introduce myself to the two of you formally, however," He gestures vaguely, "plans change."
"It's a pleasure to meet you," I say politely.
"As is you, Lady Alora." Cassiel smiles. In the light, his dark hair seems lighter, almost a sandy brown.
"I had heard you are quite the hunter." Cassiel says, looking at Viserion, "How many times have you killed the fox now? A hundred?" To my surprise, Viserion laughs. Not formally, but a real, heart-warming laugh.
"Not quite." He replies. The two of them fall into a surprisingly easy conversation as we walk down the hall. I can't help but smile as I listen to the two of them. This is the real Viserion. Capable of laughter and emotion.

I can't help but sigh in relief as we make our way out of the Palace and into the courtyard. How I managed to go those few hours without thinking of Aeron trapped in the dungeons below me makes my step falter, but one look at Viserion and that thought is gone.
"It was a pleasure to get the chance to speak with you, Prince Viserion." Cassiel says with a smile and bows.
"Please, just Viserion." Viserion says. My eyes widen in surprise as he holds out his hand to Cassiel. Cassiel's eyes widen in surprise, but he shakes Viserions hand firmly.
"Until we meet again, Prince Viserion," He nods to me, "Lady Alora." I watch as Cassiel crosses the courtyard, heading to the group of Fae that have trickled out of the Palace and enter their carriages and mount their horses, ready to return home.
"I suppose it's time for us to leave as well, my love," Viserion says, holding his hand out to me. I smile and take his hand as Viserion's wings emerge from his back. They are a mystery, a reminder of the curse. But, unlike in his beast form, Viserion's wings disappear and reappear at will. He holds out his hand to me and I take it as his arm snakes around my waist.
"I must admit, I'm quite ready to return home," Viserion says.
"You are?" I ask. He nods, lips curling into a mischievous smile.
"Indeed. I think after a day like this, we deserve a relaxing night, don't you?" I gasp as Viserion's wings push us off the ground and into the sky.
"I agree," I reply, my voice sounding like a whisper as the wind rushes past us. But I can tell from the smile Viserion wears on his face that he heard.

"Oh, you two are alright!" Longclaw practically jumps me the moment Viserion and I enter the Moon Palace, wrapping me in her arms.
"We were lucky," Viserion says as he moves around us.
"Did you still get to meet the Sun Princess?" Longclaw asks as she lets go. I nod.
"We nod. Guinevere seems like she will be a much better ruler than her brother." Longclaw nods rapidly.
"Oh of course! I always said she should have taken the throne when it was offered to her. Anyways," Longclaw turns to Viserion, "are the two of you hungry? I can make you something to eat if you–" Viserion glances at me and I nod.
"That would be wonderful, Longclaw. Thank you." I reply.