Chapter Seventeen: A Dream Within A Dream

Viserion, transformed by the Sun Court's curse, screeches in torment, his wings whipping up a gale around me.
"Viserion!" My horrified cries and Viserion's unearthly shrieks draw and spill into the courtyard. Fae rush to the gardens, stopping short at the sight of Viserion.
"My stars! What's the horrid beast doing here?" One Fae gasps in horror.
"Stay back!" Another screams, "I heard it kills Fae and eats their hearts!"
"No, please!" I yell, turning to the crowd, "That's not true–"
"Don't tell me you didn't know!" Another Fae gasps, "The beast is the Night Prince!" Screams erupt from the crowd. Aeron comes running from the palace, flanked by Lord Blaze and Radiance. Deyanira sashays behind them, unable to hide a wicked smile.
"Oh no!" Deyanira gasps in fake horror, "Whatever is happening out here?"
"This is your doing!" I scream, my body shaking with fury. Viserion, wild and agitated, screeches and claws at the nearby Fae. The crowd screams and staggers back, some Fae even running back to the palace.
"Guards, restrain the beast!" Aeron yells. Before I can protest, a half-dozen Sun Court Fae and guards leap in, blinding Viserion with lengths of enchanted chains. Viserion struggles as they pin him to the ground, helpless against them.
"How terrible..." Aeron gasps, moving to stand beside me, and faces the crowd, "It seems Viserion's curse has taken hold of him!" A commotion rises from the crowd, Fae nobles crying out in surprise and alarm as Longclaw bulls her way through them.
"What are you doing?!" She screams, "Get away from him!"
"Such concern for a mere beast." Deyanira sighs, "I suppose birds of a feather..." Sir Snow arrives a moment later, taking but one look at the Sun Court guards restraining Viserion before drawing his sword.
"You will unhand our prince this instant unless you wish to taste my blade." He yells.
"You dare threaten us?" Lord Blaze hollars, "After your prince nearly savaged all these people?" Sir Snow stands his ground.
"Ignore my warnings and you shall find out just how much I dare." Longclaw looks up at the moonless sky sadly. "How can this be? The moon..."
"The Sun Court is behind everything!" I exclaim, "They told me everything! They–" My voice chokes off again, and I turn in time to see Aeron's brief smile before his expression returns to a regretful frown.
"Viserion has frightened this poor mortal out of her wits. He could have killed her had we not arrived." He places a hand on my shoulder and I flinch. "At least, with the information the mortal brought to us, we now know how to ensure this terrible beast never harms anyone ever again."

Longclaw and Sir Snow turn and stare at me in shock.
"Alora?" Longclaw gasps, "Is this true?"
"The Fae cannot lie..." Sir Snow says sadly. No! It isn't like that! Please! I try to scream, try to explain myself to them, but the words die in my throat.
"Friends... I believe we must face a most unfortunate fact." Lord Radiance says as he and Lord Blaze approach the thrashing Viserion with expressions of barely-concealed triumph.
"The curse has overtaken this poor man for good. He is the Night Prince no more!" Lord Blaze yells. An explosion of shocked gasps and whispers erupts among the Sun Court.
"No more Night Prince?" They gasp, "What does this mean?" Aeron turns to the shocked crowd of his courtiers, his expression of dismay so genuine I almost believe it.
"I believe my uncles, in their great wisdom, are correct. Viserion, sadly, can no longer be called a prince. He is no longer Fae. Thus..." No! Stop! The words bleed inside me as I struggle under Aeron's firm grip, looking over my shoulder helplessly at Viserion's beastly form. Aeron raises his free hand, making a graceful gesture in the air. A sparkling object materializes, the air around it like a heat haze. Aeron plucks the crown from the air, blows on it to dislodge a thin layer of dust, and sets it firmly on his head. Viserion lets out a loud shriek, the sounds of him desperately thrashing against his bonds reaching my ears.
"The bloodline of the Moon Court is no more," Aeron announces.
"What does it mean?" The Fae ask among themselves.
"Our prince is ruler of all!" A Fae woman yells, "All hail His Majesty, Aeron the Suprime!"
"Our Eternal Prince!" Yells another. Aeron begins to glow, suffused with his newfound stolen power. The golden glow hits my skin as Aeron releases his hold on me and steps forward to the crowd, arms thrown wide. "With a heavy heart, I will shoulder the responsibility of leading all Fae into a new age of enlightenment and strength!" Screams of joy ring through the air as I stagger away from Aeron' turning to look helplessly at Viserion. The guards surrounding Viserion scowl at me.
"Bow before His Highness, mortal!" One yells. Stubbornly, I shake my head and don't move.
"Mortals have no respect." Another guard spits. Aeron can kill me if he wants but he won't ever get the satisfaction of seeing me kneel.

Soon, I alone remain standing, and a smiling Aeron slowly circles around to face me.
"Ah, my little mortal love. You may not realize it yet, but I am your prince now too." He laughs. I look over to where Longclaw and Sir Snow stand surrounded by Sun Court guards who watch them with weapons at the ready.
"The Two High Courts were a grand experiment that lasted millennia... But is ultimately, the Moon Court's innate flaws lead to its downfall." Aeron says sadly. That snake. Only a Fae could use the truth to lie so well.
"The High Prince, no, the High King of All Fae! Our Supreme Lord of Everlasting Light!" Lord Radiance exclaims, "Behold, the splendor of the Sun Court!" Aeron sinks in the praises like air, letting his golden glow expand into a fierce fire.
"Come, everyone. Let us return to the Sun Palace. It shall henceforth be the permanent seat of Fae power." Aeron commands. The gathered Fae begin to disperse, murmuring animatedly among themselves as they file out of the front gates.

A ways behind the crowd, Viserion struggles weakly against his bonds as a dozen guards drag him toward the gate.
"Rest, old friend." Aeron smiles, resting a hand on Viserion's bonds, "You fought well... but we all knew it would come to this eventually." He then looks to the guards, "Chain this wretched beast in the dungeons. I will deal with it later." No! I run after the bound prince, not caring how many guards are between us. I won't let them take you! Magic grips my limbs before I make it two steps, and I let out a silent scream of thwarted rage as I'm forced to my knees.
"Now now, none of that." Deynaria laughs, her hand resting on my shoulder, "In fact..." With a careless flick of her fingers, glowing bonds snap into being around Longclaw and Sir Snow's wrists, dragging them to the grounds.
"Unhand us you wicked snake!" Sir Snow yells, "Have you no honor?!" Deyanira shrugs, toying with a piece of my hair as she turns to him.
"Not particularly, no."
"Aeron, please!" Longclaw pleads, "You cannot do this!" Aeron shoots her an annoyed look, eyes flashing gold.
"Do not speak to me, beast." Aeron seems to grow in stature, his light dawning on the shocked faces of the Sun Court.
"See our power." He sighs, eyes closing as he allows the golden glow to spread through him. This can't be happening!
"The Sun Court reigns supreme. The reign of the Moon Court is ended." Aeron's voice booms, magnified by power, "Let night fall for the last time." Aeron brings down his arms, and the world shakes– splinters– shatters. The Moon Palace blasts apart, raining debris in every direction. NO! Fae scream as large stones hit them, and I watch as Viserion screams furiously, thrashing violently against his bonds in an attempt to escape. I shield my head too late as a flying stone strikes me. Pain explodes in my eyes... and my vision goes dim. I catch one last glimpse of Viserion as he's dragged away, his black eyes open wide in horror and betrayal as they meet mine.