Chapter Thirteen: Mountain of Beasts

Viserion's lips are soft against my shoulder, rousing me from sleep in more ways than one.
    "Viserion," I mumble. His eyes are aflame. He is stretched out above me, my skin bare against his.
"I can't stay away." He growls, "Every waking thought dwells with you." One hand trails down my hip lazily.
"You have bewitched me." He states. I bite back a moan as he kisses his way down, sliding his hand to the inside of my thigh, drawing it upward...
"Shall I taste you, my Alora?" He whispers. I nod and arch wordlessly, hands fisting the silk sheets as the heat of his mouth descends over me. Pleasure spreads through me like a storm, spiraling ever upward.
"There," I gasp as his fingers push into me.

What seems like hours later, Viserion holds me close as my pulse slows. When I finally look up into his eyes, the intensity in them is startling.
"What is left of my heart belongs to you, Alora." Viserion whispers, "When you leave... it will shatter anew."

My eyes fly open to see my own bedroom and I fall back against the pillow with a sigh. A dream. Of course. That's the only way Viserion could be so... Dawn has yet to break. I rise anyways, too restless to sleep, and begin to dress, but memories of the day before crash over me. I think of Viserion's lips against mine, the scent of crushed flower petals beneath our naked bodies...
"I do enjoy the way you plead." He laughs deeply, "I could tease you all day."

And then, the distant, somber look on his face as he sent me off in the carriage alone. I slam the wardrobe door shut in frustration and hurry to change into my clothes for the day, unable to relieve the memory of it. Viserion couldn't even bear to ride home with me. He knew it was a mistake. Then, a second thought takes form. I couldn't possibly be enough for him. I couldn't hold a candle to the splendor of Fae like Deynaria or Aeron. Even if I could, I'll eventually grow old and wrinkled, and... And hundred years after I'm gone, I'll only be a fleeting memory, if he thinks of me at all. A tidal wave of sadness washes over me anew. Even if I live as long as Sir Snow, I'd suffer the same fragmented memory... I hold back a sob. ...And Viserion would still have to watch me die.

My heart thumps hard in my chest, reminding me of the final, unyielding problem that dashes all my hopes away. He could never love me in return. Not unless the final piece of his heart is restored... I sigh deeply, wiping my teary eyes. I want to break his curse, but at the expense of my own life? I look at myself in the mirror, at my drawn and melancholy expression, and touch the charm at my neck. I make up my mind. I'll help Viserion as best I can to recover his heart... but at the Equinox, I'll take off this necklace and return to the life I must live.

I slip into the kitchen, lighting the fire on the stove and letting it warm the chill in my bones. I pull out a few eggs, some sausages, and a hearty loaf of golden bread. One thing I'll certainly miss about this place is the food. But, as I come to realize, I'll miss more than that. The Moon Place no longer feels like a ghastly prison. I imagine what the Moon Palace might look like, restored to its former glory and filled with light and laughter again. It almost feels like... home. Just as I crack a few eggs into the skillet, the door opens and I jump.
"Alora. You're up early." Viserion says, stopping in his tracks 
"Y-Your Highness." I stutter, "I wasn't... Did I wake you?" His eyes are hard as flint, and my stomach flips. He doesn't look to have slept at all.
"We must talk about what happened in the grove." He says plainly. I feel my cheeks flush with heat and look at the ground.
"You needn't worry, Your Highness." I say quickly, "Yesterday doesn't change anything between us." Viserion frowns.
"Is that truly how you feel?" I steel my jaw and nod. Viserion's boots come into focus as he steps closer. Then he tilts my chin up with one finger.
"Look at me." He searches my face as I struggle to maintain composure. His voice is a gentle murmur.
"Never mind all of that." He sighs, "Alora, are you alright? I did not harm you, did I?" I blink in surprise.
"Harm me? What do you mean?" I ask.
"I had not done such things with a mortal before." He answers quietly, "And I know I am not always... gentle." For a moment, I'm lost in his eyes. Then I swallow hard and shake my head, breaking contact.
"I'm perfectly fine, Your Highness." Then, I take a deep breath, "I...I will help you find the last piece of your heart." I declare, "And when Spring comes, I... I will go home. Where I belong." Viserion's set expression falters.
"Alora..." He moves to touch me, but I make myself step out of reach.
"Viserion..." I sigh, "We shouldn't."
"Why not?" He demands, a muscle in his jaw ticking. There's a tense, awkward moment as I struggle not to look at his fierce gaze... and then the smell of burning reaches my nose.
"Oh!" I gasp and hurry to the skillet and flip the now well-done eggs. Viserion peers over my shoulder, curious.
"How odd." He mutters, "I've never seen anyone prepare food without magic before. Is it ruined?" I shake my head.
"Not at all." Flustered, I crack another egg into the pan where it sizzles. Viserion watches in fascination as I add a pinch of salt.
"Um, excuse me." I mutter as I brush past him to reach for a handful of mushrooms from a nearby basket, keeping my hands busy.
"You seem well-versed in this art." Viserion states.
"I cooked often at the tavern where I worked." I reply, "I'm not sure I would call it an art, though." Viserion stands beside me, transfixed as I roughly chop the mushrooms and add them to the pan with a bit of fresh butter and I glance at him.
"I'm in your way." He realizes, "I will leave you to your meal." I sigh.
"You don't have to–" I begin, but Viserion holds up a hand.
"I do not wish to trouble you further." I nod slowly.
"I will see you later, then. To find the heart piece, right?" I ask. He gazes at me, hand on the door, an unreadable expression on his face.
"Yes. I shall meet you at sunset. Be ready."