Chapter Sixteen: A Nest of Vipers

My body screams in pain as I stand paralyzed by Aeron's spell. My body aches and my chest heaves as he retrieves his tunic, putting it on with one swift motion. I watch in utter horror as he takes the book off the table.
    "Truth be told, I had little faith that you would find the answer to breaking Prince Viserion's curse. At least, not so quickly." He laughs. I grit my teeth, tears falling from pain, humiliation, and betrayal.
    "Who would have thought that your love for him could heal Viserion's cursed heart?" Aeron asks, "Ah..." He shuts the book, turning back to my disheveled form, "What a perfectly elegant ending this shall be. Come along, now." Like a hand releasing a fist, my muscles go slack, and my voice returns.
    "You... you fucking monster," I scream. Aeron purses his lips in mock sympathy.
    "Poor little one. You still don't see the full picture." He sighs. Grabbing my wrist, the remainder of the spell is broken and I stagger forward, legs numb, insides burning with pain. Aeron drags me through the Sun Palace with ferocious strength. A few human servants skitter out of his way.
    "Pardon me, Your Highness!" One servant says quickly.
    "Someone, please!" I scream, trying to fight against Aeron's grip, "Help me!" The servants look at me with haunted expressions, some averting their eyes completely, but none come to my aid.

    Aeron hauls me into the throne room and casually throws me at the feet of Deyanira, Radiance, and Blaze.
    "Ah!" I gasp as I hit the marble floor, my limbs aching. I can only imagine the bruises forming.
    "What's this, Aeron?" Lord Blaze gasps.
    "My clever little Alora has found the solution to all our ills." Aeron laughs. He presents the book I found, and soon they look at me with fresh, predatory eyes.
    "I should have known you would lead us down the righteous path, Aeron." Lord Radiance praises. I try to push myself up to my elbows, my body screaming in pain.
    "This is going to be so much fun." Deyanira laughs.
    "What–" I grit my teeth, "What are you going to do?" Aeron peers down at me.
    "Why, we'll finally be able to finish the job we started over a century ago." He explains.
    "Every previous attempt to eliminate Viserion failed miserably. Even Deyanira proved incompetent." Lord Blaze scoffs, casting his golden eyes in her direction. Her face goes red with anger.
    "Incompetent?!" She shrieks, "I had Viserion wrapped around my finger! I was this close to killing him!" She screams in frustration, furious eyes glaring down at me.
    "To nearly succeed is to fail." Lord Blaze replies coldly.
    "You cannot just attack the Moon Court," I say as I stagger to my feet. As soon as I say the words, understanding dawns. The Moon Court's decline... Viserion's whole family... his parents...
    "Ah, Alora's figured it out!" Aeron laughs, wrapping an arm around Deyanira.
    "The laws prevent us from opening waging war against the Moon Court. But a fall here, an illness there... A few orchestrated mishaps..." Lord Blaze trails off.
    "It took ages, waiting for the perfect opportunities, ensuring there were no witnesses." Lord Radiance sighs.
    "It was all you. You engineered all of Viserion's misfortunes!" I yell.
    "I always thought you were a clever little thing." Aeron smiles wickedly, "I had a hunch that you would be useful to us. But too little, too late for yourself. Isn't that always the way of things?" I stare at the gathered Fae, seeing the cruel, callous ambition burning behind their eyes.
    "How can you do this, Aeron?" I scream, "How can you do any of this?!" He steps away from Deyanira and pats my cheek condescendingly, making me flinch.
    "My dear Alora, this is what I was born for." I take a step back, but he grabs me roughly by the shoulders, pulling me back to him. My whole body shakes as he leans to my ear.
    "My whole life has been leading to this moment... when I shall become the one and only Ruler of All Fae. You just happened to make the process go oh, so much faster." His grip slackens, fingers trailing down my sides, touching me gently as opposed to earlier.
    "You're a monster." I spit, shaking out of his grip and staggering back, "You're all monsters!" Lord Blaze steps forward, gold eyes full of anger.
    "Your pathetic mortal mind cannot even comprehend the magnitude of our greatness." He spits.
    "You told me about the heart piece in the well on the first night we met." Aeron says suddenly, "Do you remember?" I say nothing.
    "I've known what you've carried all this time, even when you didn't." Aeron laughs, "If Viserion hadn't shown up when he did and claimed you so publicly, I'd have taken you home and cut the heart piece out of you that very night. After having my fun with you, of course." He adds.
    "Fortunately for you, we have a better plan." Lord Radiance smiles. All four of them look down at me imperiously, their eyes beginning to glow with golden fire.
    "What... what are you doing?!" I gasp.
    "Just another little curse, sweetling." Deyanira laughs, "Don't fret." I turn on my heel and move to run, but Aeron steps forward and seizes me again, tracing a circle over the left side of my chest. I gasp as a sharp pain strikes my heart.
    "Shh..." Aeron sighs, running a hand through my hair as I stand stunned by the pain, "I know it hurts a little, but it's not for you."
    "Our curse now resides in the piece of Viserion's heart that you carry." Lord Blaze explains. Aeron releases me and I stagger back, breathlessly gasping for air as the feeling of my heart being stabbed sucks the air from my lungs.
    "When he opens his heart to you, and you to him... the heart piece will return to its proper place and our little gift with it." Aeron smiles. I shake my head rapidly, breathing heavily as I glare up at him.
    "I- I won't do this," I manage out.
    "My sweet Alora, you willingly walked into my court with no magical protection at all." Aeron laughs. Deyanira steps forward, eyes glinting wickedly.
    "Like a lamb to the slaughter."
    "You will be a willing participant in your lover's downfall." Lord Radiance says, "It's almost like something from a ballad..." Deynaira sighs dreamily, her face flooding with joy.
    "Oh, I cannot wait to see the look on Viserion's face when he realizes who's betrayed him," She exclaims.
    "No!" I yell, "I'll tell him everything. I'll warn him about the–" A choking hand seems to grip my throat, seizing my words before they can escape my lips. Deynaira cackles, clapping her hands gleefully.
    "Oh, that's the best part." She laughs hysterically, "So long as you carry our curse, you won't be able to speak of it to anyone!"
    "I'll find a way to stop you, just like I found a cure for Viserion." I spit.
    "This plan was set into motion before your grandparents were alive, you stupid child!" Lord Blaze yells, "You cannot stop a thing."

Lord Radiance steps forward and places a hand on Aeron's shoulder.
"The Sun Court shall finally rule as we were meant to. The world will benefit greatly under our power. You and every other mortal will be better off in the end."
"We chose Aeron well. The crown will be his alone." Lord Blaze adds.
"For the glory of the Sun Court!" Radiance exclaims gleefully.
"You're all mad!" I yell. Anguished, I turn for the door, but Aeron steps before me, reaches out a hand and pats my cheek patronizingly. I jump back in disgust.
"The Sun Court can't rule alone!" I yell, "What about the balance of powers, the cycle of day and night, the seasons–" Aeron's eyes blaze gold, a color I've now come to fear.
"You've spoken out of turn long enough. Get her out of here." Two guards step forward to seize my arms and drag me, shouting, from the throne room. The sound of wicked laughter echoes through the palace, even after the doors have been shut.