Chapter Twenty: Unbroken

Viserion, trapped as the beast, fixes his murderous eyes on me... and dives. I gasp as with a move of her hand, Deyanira removes my bonds. I turn and run for the doors, only to find them barred shut. Deyanira, Blaze, and Radiance laugh merrily.
    "What's the matter, little mortal?" Deyanira demands, "Aren't you happy to be reunited with your love? Though, he is a bit more hideous than you may remember." I fling myself to the side as Viserion slashes the air with his claws, missing me by a hair. Viserion is somewhere in there. I just have to get though to him!
    "Viserion listen to me! This isn't you!" I cry, "I know your heart. I know you don't want to hurt anyone." Viserion lands on the ground before me, claws scraping at the ground. He exhales a huff and pauses, cocking his head at me.
    "It's not your fault. None of this is. You said once you'd never hurt me. Please," I beg, "Pelase remember." For a moment, I think I see a hint of something flicker in his eyes. Then–
I scramble to my feet, but not fast enough. Claws scrape across my back, leaving fiery stripes of pain in their wake. I stubble, but force myself to keep moving away from him.
    "Viserion, please!" I yell. He squares up with me again, ready to attack. Heart galloping with terror, I face down Viserion as he charges toward me. I wait until the last second possible, then dive out of his path. Viserion lets out a sharp cry as he smashes into a glass table, which explodes into shards. A moment later, he shakes himself off and turns on me again.
    "Viserion," I gasp. My muscles tremble. Blood runs down my back, and the cut from the Sun Court noble re-opens. I can't keep this up forever.

Again and again, Viserion strikes me with his claws and buffets me with his wings. Viserion kicks me flat onto my back, knocking the wind out of me. Bleeding, wearied, I know it's over.
"Viseriom," I gasp, "please. I can't–"
"Give it up, girl." Lord Radiance laughs from beside the throne, "The beast has consumed your precious prince, as he always knew it would."
"It's better this way, sweetling." Deyanira adds, "The poor broken man has suffered this wretched existence for so long. Now, at least, his misery is at an end." Viserion lets out a hissing snarl as one heavy talon pins me to the floor. I look into his soulless eyes, seeing the blazing, animalistic rage and pain beneath. With death staring me in the face, I know I should be afraid... but I'm not. Viserion lets out a low snarl as I nod slowly.
"Viserion... it's alright." I manage out, "You think yourself so cold, a monster incapable of love, but I know it isn't true." Viserion's talons on me relax ever so slightly, and I allow myself a deep breath.
"This is Aeron's doing, not yours. That's why... even if you kill me, I'm glad I met you. Because you deserve to be happy, Viserion. You deserve to be loved. And I will love you until my last breath." Viserion flinches back, snarling as, with great effort, I lift myself up to kiss his brow, one last time.
"How sweet." Aeron sighs from upon his throne, "A final goodbye before..." Aeron trails off as, instead of ripping me apart, the beast takes a step back, shaking his great feathered head.
"...Viserion?" I gasp.
"This... this cannot be!" Aeron explodes, "I control you, beast! You change as I command it!"
"What are you waiting or, you disgusting creature? Kill her!" Lord Blaze yells. But Viserion only looks down at me, and something sparks to life in the depths of his dark eyes. Something familiar.
"No... NO!" Aeron screams. Viserin shakes himself again... and a soft light shines beneath the glossy black feathers, growing brighter as they begin to fall away until I'm forced to close my eyes.

When I'm able to look again, I see a familiar form crouched amid a swirl of black petals and tiny lights like stars.
"Viserion!" I gasp, a single tear falling from my eye. Slowly, Viserion stands, fully clothed, eyes meeting mine.
"Alora, is this real?" He asks slowly.
"I could ask you the same..." I sob. In one quick movement, Viserion sweeps me up into his arms, kissing me with the force of a crashing tide. His body shudders with relief in my arms, and I cling to him as he holds me close.
"I didn't think that would work," I mumble as I slowly pull my face back from his.
"Nor did I, but I heard your voice under Aeron's curse, and felt your heart calling out to mine. You gave me the strength to break free." Viserion smiles. I kiss him again, forgetting all else in my joy, until Viserion's hand brushes against my wounded back, making me hiss in pain. He breaks away, taking in my blood staining his hand with a look of horror. His expression hardens as he looks over my shoulder at Aeron with raw hatred.
"I hurt you." He states.
"No, Viserion. It wasn't you–" I begin to say, but Viserion shakes his head firmly.
"No. It's his." Viserion passes his hand carefully over my woulds, healing them with his magic, then looks at Aeron.
"No one will steal my victory!" Aeron yells, "Especially not you." A knife of golden light appears in Aeron's hand, and Viserion suddenly pushes me behind him, a menacing, dangerous energy burning in his eyes.
"You shall pay dearly for every spilled drop of her blood." Viserion yells, daring Aeron to challange him.
"You're far from a match for me now. I reign supreme!" Aeron's voice booms. Teeth bared into a feral scowl, Aeron lunges at Viserion, knife slashing down for a killing strike. Viserion doesn't dodge or even move to block Aeron's attack. Instead, a burst of cold power swells around the Night Prince, lashing out toward Aeron. He jerks to a stop mid-air, as if seized by an invisible hand. He hangs there, eyes blazing with hot fury as the dagger in his hand clatters to the ground.
"Sloppy, Aeron." Viserions scoffs, "All that power, and you still can't cast a decent counterspell." Aeron can only glare furiously as I walk forward and pluck the crown from his head, the magic around him finally dissipating.
"I believe this is yours." I say with a smile as I hold it out to Viserion. He nods, a smile beginning to grow on his face.
"Indeed, it is."
"Feebleminded, inbred mortal!" Lord Blaze screams, "You've ruined everything!" Red-faced with fury, Blaze and Radiance storm down the dais, only for Viserion's ravens to descend from the rafters in a hurricane of black feathers. Deyanira screams and covers her head as the birds wheel about, pecking at her uncles.
"Begone, you winged rats!" Radiance screams.
"I've had more than enough of the two of you." Viserion twists his fingers, conjuring coils of silver chain that lock the elderly lords' wrists together.
"You shadow of a true prince, I'll make sure you regret your own birth—" Lord Blaze begins, but Viserion holds up a hand.
"Silence. Or I'll claim your voices, permanently, as punishment for your impudence." Lord Blaze opens his mouth to speak, but his voice is now gone.
"Better." Viserion nods, "Now, then." He takes the crown from my hands, and instantly, a wave of cool air radiates out from him in all directions.