Chapter One: The Fae Forest

The sun shines bright, but cold through the ancient trees, settling on the forest floor in patterns of shifting, lace-like shadows. I tread carefully across the uneven ground, humming quietly to myself to fill the deep stillness that wraps the forest like a blanket. I kneel beside a patch of wild fennel, cutting a handful of the slender stalks to join the other herbs in my basket. My humming catches as the bushes ahead of me shake, followed by a low while and the sound of labored breathing. I stand quickly, brandishing my small knife and watching the bushes with wary eyes. When no wild beast or monster emerges, I creep cautiously toward the sounds. Rounding a low bush, I spy a small wolf caught in a hunter's snare. Blood seeps slowly from its leg, and its eyes flutter weakly.

"Oh, you poor thing." As I come closer, the wolf's mouth flies open, growling fiercely, as if telling me to stay away. I drop my basket to the ground, but the pain in the wolf's eyes grips my heart. I lower myself to the ground and show my hands, speaking softly.
"Shh. I don't mean you any harm, you poor thing. I'm here to help." As I reach out to grasp the snare, the wolf watches me with suspicion. I bite my lip, glancing at the wolf's teeth as my hands fumble with the trap.
"That's it...almost...there!" I exclaim as the wolf limps forward– hackles raising as it bares its teeth in a vicious snarl.
"Please, no... I was only trying to help you!" I exclaim. The wolf lunges forward. Too scared to run, I squeeze my eyes shut, preparing for the worst... But instead of teeth closing around my throat, I feel strong hands seize me by the shoulders, moving me swiftly to the side. I open my eyes, realizing that I'm no longer alone with the wolf. One black-clad arm is wrapped around my chest, holding me against the powerful figure that stands at my back.
Who..? I turn my head to catch a glimpse of my savior's face, but the wolf growls again, drawing back my attention. I suck in a sharp breath as the wolf advances on me again. I flinch, trying to get away, but the stranger's grip on me only tightens. Spice-scented breath ghosts across my cheeks as the newcomer speaks in a cold, commanding tone.
"Be still." I shiver, his words a cool caress along my spine. I obey them without thinking, surrendering even as my heart beats against my chest like a frightened bird. The wolf takes a hobbling step forward...then hesitates as it looks up at the man behind me. After a few tense seconds, the wold slinks away into the trees.

The stranger releases his hold and I let out a soft gasp, feeling strangely unsteady on my own feet.
"Oh my goodness, thank you!" I say, letting out a sigh of relief, "I thought I was..." My words trail away into nothing as the stranger's dark eyes lock on mine, freezing me in place as surely as if I were still staring into the eyes of the wolf. "Are you hurt?" The man asks. His words seem to break some spell, and I manage to look away from those piercing eyes to take in the rest of him. Beneath the rich clothes, his forearm is lean and powerful. The rest of him is covered in a dark cloak. The quiet intensity of his bearing seems to magnify his already considerable height.
"No...um, I'm alright." I say quickly, "Are you lost?" The man shakes his head.
"I live here."
I scoff, "In the forest? The stories say that only terrible beasts call these woods home." The stranger only stares impassively, and I let out a little nervous laugh. I run my hands down the front of my dress and dip my head politely.
"Where are my manners? Thank you so much for coming to my rescue. I owe you my life." The stranger's eyes narrow.
"The threat here was of your own making. Wild things are dangerous, wounded ones doubly so." His voice now a mixture of annoyance, holds a touch of amusement.
I nod, "Maybe so, but it was the right thing to do."
"Even at risk to yourself?"
"You stepped in to save me, didn't you?" I laugh, "Surely you can understand the impulse to help a creature in need."
The stranger holds my gaze for a long moment. There's something mesmerizing– and slightly unsettling about his stare. When he finally looks away, I can't help but feel a little disappointed.
"Take this. Something tells me today is not the last time you will find yourself in trouble." From the folds of his cloak, the stranger produces a ring fashioned to look like twisted vines.
"Throw this ring to the ground, and it becomes a snare of brambles to entrap your foe. You may do this three times, then the power will be gone." The man holds the ring out to me.
"So it's a magic ring, then?" I scoff, shaking my head at the so-called 'magic ring'.
"Yes." The man says simply. I almost laugh, but something in the stranger's face makes me wonder if he's being serious. Could that ring actually be magic? Real magic, like in the stories?
"This is a most generous offer. Why give such a treasure to someone you just met?" I ask the man. The stranger's eyes flick to mine again, and my pulse quickens.
"Such a soft heart will get you killed in this place." He says. The man holds the ring out to me again, but I shake my head. The stranger stares at me for a moment longer, then returns the ring to his pocket.
"So be it. But if you insist on entering these woods, you should at least have your wits about you." He says. A chill wind rustles through the trees, and for a moment, I catch a glimpse of the sky, streaked with orange with the first blush of sunset.
"Oh! I didn't realize how late it was. Forgive me, but I must be headed home." I say quickly, "Thank you, again!"
"Farewell." The man says, "Do try not to antagonize any more wild beasts on your way." I dip my head politely and turn, scooping up my basket and hurrying back toward home.