Apart (part 3, Ranpoe)

A/N: here comes part 3, the reunion. Without further ado, enjoy!

The week that felt like multiple eternities had finally come to an end. After all this time, Poe was finally waiting on his flight back to Japan.

...It was admittedly a bit nerve-wracking being in such a public space without Ranpo or Karl there. But it was fine since he was on his way back to them. All he had to do was survive the plane ride and then he'd be reunited with them.

He could do this.

Though he did feel a bit worse once he got on the plane due to his fear of heights. Nevertheless, the thought of returning home to Ranpo and Karl helped a lot.

Meanwhile...

Unsurprisingly, Ranpo had taken the day off of work so he could see Poe the minute he returned. He knew his boyfriend wouldn't be back for awhile yet, but that didn't stop him from skipping work.

Which also meant he hadn't taken Karl over to Mushitarō's house.

And now the Mushitarō in question was headed to Ranpo's house to seek some answers. He knocked on the door.

Ranpo answered it. "Oh hi, Mushi."

"Hello, Ranpo. Might I ask why you didn't bring Karl over?" Mushitarō questioned.

"Oh, it's cause I skipped work."

"Is that so?"

"Yes. I need to go see Poe the minute he comes back."

"You do know it's going to be awhile, right?"

"Yes, of course I know that. My point still stands."

"Lovesick fool."

"Lovesick, yes. Fool, no."

"Know what else you are? A thief."

"Wha- I am not! Where did this absolutely baseless accusation come from, Mushi?!"

"Yes, you are! I didn't get my time with Karl!"

"That doesn't make me a thief! Poe entrusted me with watching Karl."

"He also said I could watch him!"

"But I'm the main one doing so."

Mushitarō scowled. "Where is he?"

Ranpo grinned. "Somewhere."

"Somewhere in your house, hopefully."

"Duh. I'm not that incompetent and certainly not when Poe's trusted me with such a major task. He'd never forgive me if I lost Karl."

"True."

"Or maybe he would. He loves me, after all."

"He does, but he wouldn't want Karl to get lost."

"True. And yeah, he's here. Come in, I guess." Ranpo stepped aside.

Mushitarō walked in and looked around, soon spotting Karl relaxing on the couch. He walked over and sat next to the raccoon.

Karl glanced up and squeaked.

Mushitarō smiled. "Hi, Karl."

Karl squeaked more.

Ranpo sat down on the other side of Karl and stroked his fur.

Karl closed his eyes, enjoying all the attention.

Ranpo looked at him. "Hey Karl, did you know Poe's coming back today?"

Karl's eyes snapped open and he started chittering happily.