Stratagem 49: Listen to the Advice of Those More Experienced! (1)

Qiu Ling dwelt on the matter for a few days. Anyway, he had already taken ten years. What were a few days in comparison to that? Not to mention that planning this step well might allow him to end the courting phase and directly get to the point where the two of them would get married. Ah, he sure was looking forward to that!

Either way, after sitting on the problem for a few days ... he hadn't really come up with anything. Over the last decade, he had tried pretty much everything: Being a bumbling fool, showing his maturity and even leaning into the age gap between them, trying to seduce him with words and deeds, staying close or giving way ... None of that seemed to help with his current predicament.

Seriously, especially in the last four years, he had flirted so much with Jing He, that it was a wonder Jing He was still blushing every time. He would have thought he'd become immune to it one day but instead, no matter whether it was done lightly or if he was laying it on thick, Jing He seemed unable to keep calm every single time. In that kind of situation, every normal person would have managed to have one of their countless marriage proposals accepted, right?

Qiu Ling tapped the top of the desk in his study that he rarely used and narrowed his eyes. Maybe the flirting wasn't the problem but the proposal? Had he not done those well recently?

Actually, this might be the reason. He was always serious when he suggested they get married but then, after hearing it so many times, just saying it might not be enough for Jing He to accept. Instead, maybe he should make a grand display out of his love and then formally pose the question afterward? It would be really awkward if he did and Jing He stayed silent though ...

Qiu Ling sighed and raked a hand through his hair. Anyway, he didn't know. It could be that or maybe it wasn't. He just couldn't tell and that was the whole problem, wasn't it? If he didn't figure out the root cause, how could he proceed?

He pursed his lips, quietly admitting to himself that no matter how long he pondered, he wouldn't get it. He had done what he could, followed all the advice from his advisers, and paid attention to any small hint Jing He gave him. By now, he was desperate. Just where was the problem?

He leaned forward with a groan, putting his elbows on the desk and rubbing his temples. Was there really nothing he could do? Would things just always continue like this? He didn't want that. He wanted to find a way to somehow go forward, to make his beloved admit to his feelings and agree to marry him. He was completely lacking any inspiration though.

In that case ... he could probably only go and find some? Well, it might be better to say that he should find somebody to give him some inspiration on how to tackle this problem.

Seeing as all his advisers' advice had been followed already and some of it had spectacularly backfired in the past, he should probably go and find somebody a little closer to Jing He who would have an actual good idea as to what might work. Needless to say, that didn't leave many people: Other than his mother-in-law and his uncle-in-law, he couldn't think of a single one.

Qiu Ling lowered his hands, not as anxious anymore now that he at least knew what his next step should be. He pursed his lips though, still somewhat worried. There was no guarantee that this would work. Those two had often given him good advice but this wasn't fail-safe. He could only hope for the best and shouldn't get his hopes up too high.

He looked over his shoulder and winced when he realized that it was already night. He had returned to his palace after today's visit to Jing He and then sat here, doing nothing but ponder his options. Now, it was definitely too late to still go and ask his mother-in-law for advice today. No, it seemed he'd have to wait until tomorrow.

Qiu Ling sighed to himself but there was nothing he could do. He got to his feet, picked out his clothes for the next day, and then simply went to sleep. Anyway, he'd go to his mother-in-law's palace early tomorrow morning. That way, he could still spend the rest of the day with Jing He. His beloved might not even notice that he had done something else before he came to see him!

Having made up his mind, Qiu Ling indeed soon fell asleep. The next morning, he got up and dressed before the sun had even risen. Anyway, it couldn't hurt to be early. In the worst case, he'd wait outside for a bit and then go in as soon as the Heavenly Empress was up. He might be patient when it concerned his beloved but that didn't mean that he would waste time where he shouldn't!

With that thought, a certain dragon king soon arrived in the Nine Heavens, lurking on the roof of the Heavenly Empress's palace. By now, there was at least a hint of sunrise to be seen but it would likely still take at least an hour before it would be right to pay her a courtesy call.

Qiu Ling pursed his lips, turned onto his back, and stared up at the sky that had at least turned gray by this point. Ah, waiting ... it really seemed like he wasn't doing much else these days although he felt that he had put in a lot of effort in the past few months in particular. It really was a mystery to him why his beloved still wasn't willing to accept his proposal.

Even though he tried not to think about it, Qiu Ling's thoughts unwittingly returned to this question again and again. Before he didn't find an answer — or, even better, a solution — he probably wouldn't be able to let go of this. He sure hoped the Heavenly Empress had any idea what he could do. The past few days since he had realized the total lack of progress between them had been pure torture.

There was something different about what was happening right now and what had been happening ten years ago. Back then, he had tried to slowly win Jing He over. It had been an excruciatingly slow process but he had persevered because there was a clear goal and a clear path toward that goal. As long as he continued to show Jing He how good he was and eliminated his worries step by step, they could find happiness together.

But now? Jing He liked him and he liked Jing He. There shouldn't be any worries to speak of, if he ignored that bastardly old man who, unfortunately, occupied the position of Jing He's father. Under these circumstances, why weren't they proceeding smoothly?

By now, they should already be engaged and excitedly discussing their wedding plans. Since four years ago, there wasn't really a reason to hold back, right? Unfortunately, it seemed like he was the only one who thought so. Jing He ... he was held back by something. It really was incomprehensible to him.