Stratagem 53: Make Bold Decisions When the Time Is Ripe (2)

Jing He stiffened. Qiu Ling had always been bold in his treatment of him but ... it had still never been like this. Neither of them had even said a word yet but here they were, hugging and kissing as if there was no question about the status they had in regard to one another.

It made him anxious but only for a moment. Then, he let it be and simply relaxed. He had already made up his mind to be honest with Qiu Ling. He wanted to admit his feelings for him so why resist the sweet temptation that was this kiss?

He leaned closer to Qiu Ling. It couldn't quite be called requiting the kiss but he let it happen without the slightest hint of pulling away and he did not intend to stop there. He slowly raised a hand until his fingertips touched the fabric of Qiu Ling's robe. The silky sensation added to his perception of the moment, reminding him just how gently he was being held even though he knew Qiu Ling would never let go.

Jing He closed his eyes, not wanting to see but only to feel as things unfolded. His fingertips wandered upward, brushing past the edge of Qiu Ling's belt and slowly following the curve of his lapel until he reached the spot where his heart was located.

Through the fabric of the robe, through the skin of his hand, the regular thumps were transmitted to his own heart, making it beat faster.

He reached up with the other hand as well, using it to gently touch Qiu Ling's arm that had wrapped tightly around his waist. He followed the curve of the muscles beneath the fabric. Just for once, he dared to be this bold.

This man, one day, he would be his husband. He had promised so and now, he was ready to take him up on that promise. What did it matter if he was a little brazen under such circumstances? Since they were kissing, he might as well touch his body in this way.

Jing He let go of the thought and just focused on the sensation of those soft lips on his own and the contrast of satiny fabric and hard muscles beneath his fingertips. He felt the strong arm in his back, Qiu Ling's fingers tightly clasping his hair, the body that pressed up against his own, every inch of it radiating a foreign heat that was still familiar to him.

Qiu Ling hummed as Jing He's fingers wandered over his arm. Feeling his beloved touch him in this way had to be what being in paradise was like. It had been much too long but now, the time had finally come: For once, it was not just his one-sided endeavor, him begging for Jing He's affection. No, this time, they truly were a couple relishing the moment together.

He changed his grasp on his beloved, tilting Jing He's head further to deepen the kiss. This kind of opportunity, he didn't dare to bet that it would come again so he could only make full use of the moment.

His tongue flicked out, brushing Jing He's lower lip and making him give a faint sound of surprise. Qiu Ling pressed further, sticking as closely to him as possible. If not for the fact that they were outside and in full view should somebody walk by, he might have tried to do more and not just kiss.

Just as Qiu Ling was getting into the mood, Jing He struggled to stop him. He shook made a sound and shook his head, finally breaking away. Hugging was alright and kissing was as well but how could they ...

Qiu Ling sighed but he had also known that he should not expect too much. He put the missed opportunity behind him once again and instead just cupped Jing He's cheeks before his beloved could chastise him for being too much. Looking into those dark eyes, his heart rippled with sweetness. His lips curved into a smile that had to light up his own eyes. "Marry me?"

Jing He, who had just thought about whether he should try to completely weasel his way out of Qiu Ling's arms before the dragon king could take it too far again, paused in the midst of his movement and looked at him uncertainly. Those words ... they seemed to throw him back to a time ten years ago when the two of them had only just met.

At that time, Qiu Ling had also asked whether he would like to get married. In fact, it had not been so much of a question as it was a request to follow his wishes. Now, his words sounded infinitely more soft as if his approach over the years while still following the same goal, had indeed changed to fit his taste.

Jing He stopped struggling and instead looked closely at the familiar face that was so close in front. He had missed him, more than the kiss just now had been able to reassure him. Thinking of this, he reached up, his fingertips brushing Qiu Ling's cheeks just like the dragon king was still cupping his cheeks.

In the end, he nodded. At this time, he just could not find his voice to tell him all the things that had been left unsaid. He only knew that yes, he wanted to marry him. He wanted to become his in every sense of the word, wanted to face the future together every step of the way. Even if he could not say it, he could let him know.

Right now, right here, standing in front of him, just nodding was enough for Qiu Ling to know exactly what he meant.

Qiu Ling stared back. Maybe he had asked this question too often but he had not expected this result. When his beloved finally nodded, indicating that his proposal had been accepted, he ... suddenly didn't know how to react. He just stared at him, feeling as if his soul was fleeing his body to ascend to some higher sphere.

"You ... you do want to marry me?" Finally, the words were rearranged to make sure again. He just ... could not believe it if he didn't ask once more.

Jing He's lips curled into a smile and he nodded, this time giving a faint hum as well.

Finally, Qiu Ling's thoughts caught up to him. He hummed as well and then hugged his beloved tightly. "Yes! Heaven, I can't believe you finally said yes!"

Before Jing He knew what was happening, he had been picked off the ground and whirled around in a circle, Qiu Ling's laughter sounding in his ear. He hurriedly held onto his shoulders, biting his lower lip as his own smile threatened to get out of control. He closed his eyes tightly and took a deep breath, his senses filling with the familiar presence.

Finally, Qiu Ling stopped and just quietly held him, his broad palms brushing over Jing He's back. "You said yes. You ... you're not allowed to take it back. Since you've promised me, I'll take you at your word. On the nearest possible date, let's get married for real."