Beautiful Girl | From The Vault

I stood at Taylor's bedroom door, hesitating knocking. 

I didn't have a good day. I was told by my social worker that my dad wanted me to visit him at the prison. She gave me a scheduled time and everything, but I didn't go. I didn't really regret not going. I don't think I was even mentally stable enough to hear his voice or look at him in the eyes, but I felt bad anyway. I could just imagine my dad standing there, waiting for me to show up so he could apologize or something, watching all the other inmates talk to their friends and family in the booths, disappointment reigning as the time ran out. I couldn't stop thinking about it, and I couldn't sleep. 

So there I was, at Taylor's door. I just wanted someone to talk to, and she told me to wake her up if I ever needed anything, but I didn't want to burden her with anything.

I thought about it for a minute, then finally just took the chance and quickly knocked on the door. Soon there was shuffling, and Taylor was standing in front of me in just a matter of seconds.

"Hey honey what's wrong? Are you ok?" She asked, the worry clear in her voice.

"I'm fine- I just can't sleep..."

"Come sit down."

I followed Taylor and sat on the bed, bringing my knees up to my chest and resting my chin on them.

"Do you wanna talk about it?" She asked, already knowing what I was upset about.

I told her about how I felt bad for my dad, even though I know I shouldn't because he was horrible to me, but he was still my father. And how it was all halting my sleep.

"I think I can maybe do something to make you feel better." 

"What?"

"When I was little, my grandma used to sing to me, and I would fall asleep in seconds."

I nodded, laying my head on her shoulder to get comfortable. Taylor cleared her throat.

Close your eyes
Have no fear
The monster's gone
He's on the run and your mama's here

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful
Beautiful girl
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful
Beautiful girl

Before you go to sleep
Say a little prayer
Every day in every way
It's getting better and better

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful
Beautiful girl
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful
Beautiful girl

Out on the ocean
Sailing away
I can hardly wait
To see you come of age
But I guess we'll both just have to be patient

'Cause it's a long way to go
A hard row to hoe
Yes it's a long way to go
But in the meantime

Before you cross the street
Take my hand
Life is what happens to you
While you're busy making other plans

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful
Beautiful girl
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful
Beautiful girl

Before you go to sleep
Say a little prayer
Every day in every way
It's getting better and better
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful
Beautiful girl
Darling, darling, darling
Darling girl

The last thing I remember was Taylor giving me a kiss on the forehead and whispering to me.

"Goodnight Y/n. See you in the morning."

why this wasn't posted:

- too short

- one of the many chapters deleted very early into the book (before the first chapter was even posted)

- felt like a one shot

the last chapter had 1111 words. It was cool.