Mastermind

Friday - March 3rd, 2023

Xo wouldn't let go of me during my last day of school. My friends were going on and on about how much they were going to miss me. I didn't mind it, but it was a little funny to me.

"You realize you can all say goodbye at the airport." I said.

"The fame is already getting to her..." Walker dramatically replied.

"Oh shut up. I'm coming back to visit in two weeks, I think  you'll be fine."

"Two weeks too many!" Sophie said with the same energy Walker had.

After school ended, we all packed into a car and went straight to the airport. Taylor and Joe were on their way there with our luggage. Them doing the small act of being in a car together just so Joe could say goodbye to me made me happy. Yeah, they were friends, but they only really hung out when it benefited me. It's bittersweet I guess.

It took about ten minutes to get through security and bag checking and all that due to the benefits of first class, and being in a very secluded part of the airport, where there were only old couples and businessmen who didn't even bother looking at us. After that, we all talked for a while, then Walker got this amazing idea.

"Oh! We should go get Starbucks!"

"We can't, paparazzi already knows we're here." I said.

"What if Bella and I just went? Plus, look at that one." Walker points to the nearest Starbucks. "It's practically empty." 

I looked at Taylor and she just shrugged in a 'yolo' fashion. I looked back at Walker, who was already dragging Bella to the coffee shop. I rolled my eyes, realizing they hadn't bothered to ask what everyone wanted. I had to text it all to them, and I'm not the best texter, but we got through it.

As my two friends stumbled back to our seats, their hands full of frappuccinos and cake pops, I noticed the look of distress on their faces. Then Bella mouthed something. We couldn't tell what she was saying, until she got close enough for us to hear her whisper yelling.

"We fucked up!" 

"What do you mean you fucked up? Did you get the orders wrong?"

"No, it's worse." Walker said.

Before they could explain, we heard yelling crowds in the distance. I looked up to see people with phones and flashing cameras being held back by security. 

"How did that even happen?" Xo asked.

"They have their ways believe it or not." Taylor said, completely unphased.

While all that was happening, Taylor was giving us all a last minute media training lesson, and Joe pulled me aside to talk, where the paparazzi couldn't see us.

We sat on this couch where my feet didn't touch the ground. I swung my legs back and forth in some kind of effort to comfort myself. I wasn't going to see Joe until May. 

He sighed, looked down, then back up at me. He cleared his throat.

"I'm gonna miss you kiddo."

"Me too, but it's not that long. And I can call you whenever you're not busy, and we can text like we do already. I'll tell you all about everything that happens and..." I began to trail off, noticing the expression on Joe's face. A few seconds of silence passed.

"I'm gonna miss you too dad." I finally said, being brought back to reality.

He let out a little sniffle, then pulled me into a tight hug. When we departed I looked at his watery eyes.

"Are you crying?" I smiled.

"No, no, it's just a little dusty in here."

I giggled at him, then brought my thumbs up to his face and wiped his tears.

"I'll be back before you know it dad."

"You're right. No tears."

"No tears." I replied.

We stood up and did the handshake we created the first time we met, which was enough to dissipate the sadness of the situation.

With two minutes left until boarding, we all shared a group hug. Xo gave me at least a thousand kisses on the face and didn't let me go until the last second.

"See you in two weeks cutie pie." She cornily winked.

"If you call me that again I won't come back."

Xo gasped, but then we both bursted into laughter, sharing one last hug and kiss before Taylor and I got on the plane. We yelled goodbye until we turned the corner, and entered the plane.

As we flew over the skyscrapers of New York, then the trees of Pennsylvania, I thought about all the beautiful things in my life. I went from having nothing to having everything, and I hoped that it would all stay forever.

I hope you enjoyed this book. The next one is coming soon...