Long Story Short

I walked out of the dressing room, all ready for dance class. I was early, but walked into the studio anyway. There was only one other person there, Xochitl.

I so badly wanted to turn around and wait for someone else to enter, but she had already made eye contact with me, flashing that horribly adorable smile.

"Hey!" She said, seeming happy to see me.

"Hi." I said, sitting down to stretch.

"Are you okay? I mean- I'm sorry I shouldn't ask that. I heard about your um- breakup..."

"What? Oh no, I'm way happier without her. I guess I was kind of blind going through with that. I would say it was fun while it lasted, but it wasn't."

Xo laughed. She seemed relieved that I wasn't terribly heartbroken. Once everything went silent, I said something.

"I'm sorry by the way. For the party situation. I made a stupid decision. Dating someone like her. Especially over someone like you."

"Someone like me?" Xochitl said, indicating she wanted me to elaborate.

"I mean, you're actually nice to me. You care about me more than she ever did. Even after everything I did. Plus, you're the better kisser anyway."

"Oh really?"

I swear I would have kissed her. I would have kissed her for ages if a group of our classmates didn't walk in.

But, in the middle of class, Xo whispered to me.

"You, me, pizza?"

"I'm grounded, but we can hang at my house. My mom might be supervising the entire time though." I chuckled.

"Hey, if Taylor Swift is supervising, I have nothing to complain about."

"Saturday?"

"It's a date."

—————

Taylor wasn't there when I got home, but Joe was, so I decided to bother him instead.

"Hey kiddo how was school?" Joe asks, taking a sip of some coffee.

"It was fine. I got asked out." I said bluntly.

Joe proceeded to practically choke on his drink, and had to take a second to catch his breath.

"I- who? Boy? Girl? What's their name? You can't even go anywhere you're grounded."

"Calm down it was only Xochitl. I was wondering if she could come over, because then I wouldn't be going anywhere, technically."

"Oh. Ask your mother I don't know." He said, seeming disheveled.

I rolled my eyes in annoyance, but smiled. Then started on my history homework. After that I hung out in the music room. I've been writing and recording a few songs just for fun. And I may or may not have just finished recording a cover of one of Taylor's older songs when she walked in.

"There you are." She smiled, walking up to greet Olivia, who was in my lap. "Hi dibbles!" She cooed, picking the cat up, who immediately wriggled away.

"Watcha working on?" Taylor asked, sitting down in the rolling chair next to me.

"Nothing, just a cover."

"Ooo, what song?"

"It's not that good or anything."

Taylor squinted her eyes like she was a suspicious detective.

"Well now I really wanna know. What is it? I wanna listen to it."

I huffed, It's not like I can say no now.

"I did a cover of Mean..." I mumbled.

"No way! I need to hear this!" Taylor squealed.

After a few minutes of me saying that it wasn't even good, and Taylor insisting she wanted to listen to it anyway, I let her.

Watching her facial expressions while listening was very intimidating. Sometimes she looked like she was intensely analyzing my vocals, and sometimes she looked like she absolutely loved everything about it.

Once the song was done, she took the headphones off and looked straight into my eyes.

"Y/n." Taylor said, with a mix of astonishment and horrible seriousness in her voice.

"Yes...?" I said, confused.

"I just got this crazy idea."