Cornelia Street

That about the breakup chapter did not age well 🧍🏾‍♀️

I'm sorry for writing this I need to feel something

—————
Tour is in a few months. I'd been anticipating even thinking about it.

I love tours as much as the next person, but Taylor traveling the country and then later probably the world is something that we would obviously need to talk about.

I don't think we've spent more than a day apart at a time. Sleepovers are usually at my house, and if they're not, I FaceTime Taylor the night of and day after so she knows I'm safe.

What's even worse, is that things have been...weird.

Joe and Taylor stopped sleeping in the same room, and Joe stopped coming over as much. Every time he'd be here it would be to spend time with me and not Taylor.

I figured he was just busy at first. I asked him why he's not home as much anymore. He told me he had a lot of work to do in London and was filming somewhere in Europe, but he looked a little uncomfortable answering the question so I just stopped asking about it. I didn't bother to ask Taylor either, but all of it made me sad.

In the back of my mind I knew why all of it was happening, but I didn't want to accept it, so one day, after school, when Taylor and Joe were waiting for me in the living room, I knew what was about to happen.

Taylor stood up as soon as she saw me, smiling in the most sorrowful way I had ever seen.

"Hi darling how was school?"

"Good..."

"That's nice. Um- come sit down."

I put my backpack down then sat in the middle of them. I felt like the couch was going to swallow me whole, Already getting flashbacks from when my parents tried to explain their split, except my mom was high on her 'medicine'.

"We've got something we want to talk to you about. Something important about us." Joe started.

They looked at each other, as if there was a script and they had forgotten a line.

"I- I actually have a lot of homework to do-" I lied, trying to get out of the situation.

"It's only going to take a second." Taylor cut me off, obviously my efforts had failed.

She took a deep breath before speaking again.

"Joe and I have made a decision that we know affects you."

"And we want you to know that it's not in any way your fault-" Joe continued.

"You're breaking up. I know." I mumbled.

There was a long silence. My heart dropped lower than I thought it ever could. My throat began to hurt the way it hurts when you've just received horrible news, and the tears can't escape through your eyes so it just stays right there in the middle of your throat instead.

"We still love each other." Taylor finally broke the silence.

"And this doesn't mean you get to spend any less time with me..." Joe said.

They kept talking after that, but I couldn't hear them. I was thinking about how different things would be, and change has barely ever worked out for me in the past.

"Can I um- can I go to my room?"

Taylor glanced at Joe and back at me.

"Yeah."

I grabbed my backpack and retreated to my room, unintentionally slamming the door.

I knew I couldn't be angry. It was wrong to be angry. They'd fallen out of love or something, but I couldn't help thinking that maybe if I had never come into the picture in the first place none of this would've happened.

Instead of sitting and crying all night, I went down to the dance studio and did some improv. It was very emotional and aggressive, I was completely out of breath by the end.

I heard a knock on the door, and walked over to open it, as I was too exasperated to yell loud enough for my voice to reach the other side. Of course, it was Taylor.

"Sweating it out in here huh?"

I nodded, then sat on the floor, leaning against the wall. Taylor sat next to me.

"Did dad-"

I stopped myself. I didn't want my words to make Taylor upset.

"Did Joe leave?"

"Yeah, he had a flight to catch. He told me to tell you goodbye, and that he'll be back this weekend."

I sighed, leaning my head on Taylor's shoulder. She wrapped her arm around me and stroked my hair.

"I'm so sorry darling."

"I know mama."

I could tell that Taylor was crying from her breathing and occasional sniffles. I only call her 'mama' in very specific circumstances, this being one of them.

Sometimes it's important to accept things that you'd rather not think about, because that thing can eat away at you, and it's wrong to let it.

Everyone has a Cornelia Street.

Someday you'll have to walk it again.

—————

Holy fuck I'm sobbing.

I'm not reading that again let me know if I have any errors 😭