THIRTY-SIX

He doesn't go straight to therapy right away.

He takes some time to steady himself, to get better, to heal his mind and repair what was fractured. And it helped that Lucy told him she'll get him that session as soon as she works up enough money to do so.

Money isn't even a problem for Benjamin anymore. Not when he has so much tucked away from Lucy. Not when he has so many "friends" who were more than willing to give him wealth as long as he asked.

Still, Lucy doesn't know. Benjamin tries slipping in some dollars in her wallet whenever she's not looking.

But he goes back to school. Without Eligos or Astaroth by his side. It makes everything worrisome, and he feels the dread of anxiety creeping up again when he walks through the halls.

No one's making snide comments at him, but the majority stare and he already knows what going on in their heads. The only good thing around is Zoe, who sticks to him whenever she can. And he almost hugs her in relief when she notices Eligos and Astaroth absent, but doesn't say a word and merely goes on like nothing's wrong.

The only downside was Blythe. Not Marcus and the group, but just Blythe.

They bumped into each other on accident, and she nearly drops her phone. Blythe pursed her lips and gives Benjamin a blank stare as he stammers out an apology, yet she doesn't care much for it.

"So? Having fun with your little toys?" She asked, already looking down at her phone and typing away. "This beats the record from last time. They must be a real treat if you haven't tossed them away yet."

"They're not toys... neither were the others."

He's scratching at his wrist.

"Yeah, whatever. It doesn't change the fact that you're going to drop them anyways. You always do."

"I'm not dropping them, Blythe. I-I'm staying with them-"

"Isn't that what you said with your previous "friends" before us?" She makes quotations in the air with one hand. Blythe rolls her eyes at how freaked out Benjamin was.

"Marcus and Emma made me do it. It's not like I wanted to throw them away."

Blythe gives him an empty smile. "Sure, you can blame them. But it's not like you weren't happy that Marcus gave you attention, yeah?"

Benjamin goes silent. He tries his best not to recall Eligos saying how much he liked attention. Because he did. He just... didn't care who he got it from.

"Anyways," she drawls out. "You've got, what? Like, two weeks left before Marcus and the others take you back. Have fun with your friends or whatever they are. Enjoy it while it lasts. That attention they're giving you."

"I'm staying with them, Blythe. I'm not leaving."

"You sure?"

Benjamin looks at her, offended. But then he sees the way she stares back at him, truly questioning him if he was serious. She isn't making fun of him or had any snide remarks.

Is it what he really wants?

Blythe ends up sighing once she notices how tense he becomes. It's typical. Benjamin doesn't know, because he was never given the opportunity to decide for himself for anything.

She prompts, "So? Are you going to tell me what you really want, or are we going to have to decide for you like we always do? Come on, Benjamin. If you don't want to act like a dog, don't act like such a bitch anymore. If you want to be with those friends of yours then hurry up and tell it straight to Emma and Marcus. Otherwise, you'll end up back to where you started. Underneath us as always."