TWO

Benjamin looked at himself in the mirror of the restaurant.

He gave the excuse of needing to use the restroom, and so he quickly left Marcus and the others without hesitation.

Benjamin could see the noticeable dark bags underneath his eyes. Along with his newly cut hair Emma gave him, he looked like utter shit. His skin was pale, sickly pale though, and he was skinnier than he liked to be.

Under all the baggy clothes Marcus forced him to wear every day, which weren't even his own, Benjamin was sure there were tiny indents of his rib cage against his skin. He definitely wasn't looking after himself well. Not that it ever mattered.

Emma loved it when Benjamin couldn't take care of himself. That meant she and Marcus would take any chance to care for him themselves. Blythe would as well, but not as much since she wasn't that obsessed with Benjamin like the other two.

Besides, Benjamin and Blythe didn't know each other that well. Emma and Marcus... the three of them have history together.

It must be why Benjamin is too reluctant to part with them. Not because he was afraid to, but because he had been molded to think they were always going to be his "friends", even if he knew this wasn't how friends treated each other.

Benjamin hurriedly splashed some cold water on his face and tried fixing up his matted up black hair. He ignored how dull his blue eyes were and stepped out of the restroom, walking back to the table where everyone impatiently waited for him.

Marcus pointed at his seat. Benjamin always sat right next to him if they ate at a restaurant.

Emma crossed her arms and glared. "Benny, why'd you allow this guy to come with us?"

Cameron, who had invited himself, stopped chewing on his food and looked up with a stupid smile.

"This is the only time I get to hang out with Benny," he said after swallowing his food. "Girl, if you don't eat your pasta, I'll eat it for you."

"Stop it! You keep taking my fries!"

"Emma," Blythe whispered from the side. "Can I have a sip of your coke?"

"Sure, sweetie—Cameron! I told your ass not to take any of my pasta!"

As they bickered, Marcus took the time to cut up some of Benjamin's own food. Like a pet, Benjamin eagerly waited in his seat, a little impatient. He wanted to just chow down since he hardly ate anything after lunch, but Marcus hated it whenever he got to eat whatever he wanted without permission.

Marcus held up his fork with a piece of food. Benjamin instinctively leaned forward and took a bite, relieved to finally eat something.

"You can have my drink later if you want," Marcus offered. "You barely got to eat anything today."

"Woof."

"It's after school, Benny. You're free to talk now."

"... yes, thank you." His voice was a bit hoarse.

"By the way, Emma, what'd you and Blythe do with that Zoe girl in P.E.?"

"Cameron, you were literally there."

"I was too busy getting yelled at by Marcus."

Marcus and Benjamin looked away from each other, their attention now focused on the others. Blythe loudly sipped her drink. She didn't actually have P.E. with them and took up an art class instead. She was shockingly good at it. But today was the only time she was allowed to go to the gym to see how the new girl would do.