THIRTY-TWO

"So, how'd you do it?"

Lilith sat across from Benjamin, amused and impatient as the two of them snacked underneath the Tree of Forbidden Knowledge.

"What do you mean?"

"Lucifuge Rofocale, munchkin. How'd you get him that infatuated with you? He hated you when you first arrived, and now he acts as if salvation would be rewarded to him if you give him a kiss."

Ah, right. That guy. One of the Six Great Demon Lords.

Benjamin shrugs. "Secret."

"Hmph! Mommy wants to know though."

"He... likes the thrill. He doesn't like me in general, just the game."

She raises an eyebrow. "Thrill? Game?"

"He seemed like the type. I didn't even mean to get involved with him, but things happened."

"Which were?"

"I simply asked if it'd be so bad to be with me. I told him him he probably wouldn't last so long if he hated my guts so much," Benjamin whispers. "That was really it... and a few other things, I guess. Can't remember. Happened a little too fast."

Lilith barks out a laugh. "Ha! It's all a matter of pride, huh? The fool got riled up all because you said that? What a fucking idiot! He probably ended up liking you though. What an utter loser."

"Lilith, please."

"Sorry, sorry. You can't blame me, can you? As much as I adore you, and the majority of us like you, there's still others who believe that a mere human like you shouldn't even be allowed to walk on these desecrated grounds."

Benjamin knows that. Which is why it was rather... simple to subdue Lucifuge Rofocale without any trouble. That demon is arrogant and spiteful, always looking down at Benjamin for who he was and had snide remarks about him and his performance in Hell. Benjamin never said a word about it. He only had a hunch it was mostly due to pride and how a demon viewed humans in general.

Lucifuge Rofocale acted like his old friends. They always talked down on him and stared at him like he was nothing more than a dog, and they took great pleasures in doing that until Benjamin found a way to quietly ease them by being gentle and obedient, feeding into their own egos for a while.

Which is the opposite of what he did with Lucifuge Rofocale. He doesn't know gentleness. Benjamin didn't need to do such a thing when all Lucifuge Rofocale knew was rough actions and harsher words.

So, Benjamin merely stated that he wouldn't be able to last very long with him as if it was a competition. That he wouldn't know how to take care of him, to treat Benjamin as tenderly as he could. The demon lord took it as an offense. Benjamin initiated first contact and startled him, knowing that Lucifuge Rofocale didn't expect him doing it.

And the rest was history. What a sucker. Just like Emma had been.

Benjamin sighed.

"I know."

"You're okay with that?" Lilith asked.

"I expected it."

Lilith suddenly laughed, highly amused with him.

Oh, she knows what Benjamin is. A little minx this human is. She's lived this long and knows every bit of the ways an incubi and succubi can do, and Benjamin reminds her of them.

He really does surprise her. She'll keep this a secret from the other demons.

"What's so funny?"

"Oh, it's nothing. Don't worry, munchkin. Mommy can help with the other unruly children. I'll make them like you."